Bream from at ditch for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CJ21, Dec 22, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering would small bream from a ditch would work as bait.

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    As long as it is lively it will work no matter where it came from as long as the cats are biting and you are in the right spots. Depending on how small hey are, I would use them whole.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use bream from 1" to 6" all the time, smaller if they are fool enough to wind up in my cast net. Over 6", they go on the stringer for the frying pan. Use them, one of the best baits around. If they die on you, cut em behind the gills and put the head on, great bait.

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    most definitely. you can use em as cut bait or keep em alive. all bream is good bream to me.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes they will work fine. You will hear and read to try to catch your bait from the water you will be fishing from and that's ok. I catch my perch anywhere I can get them and they work fine for me.

6. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    They will work great. Im sure the cats you are fishin for are used to eatin bream. They are prolly in every hole of water in the south.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I used my cast net and caught 60 for a fishing trip 150 miles away. They worked fine.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use bream as small as 2" for bait and have taken many cats over 20 lbs off of them. I know just last month I had brad the guys who runs my web site out and he landed a 41lb blue on a 2" bluegill

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    One of the best things about bream is that they are extremely hearty. I have had them stay alive for days on a hook.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    bream are bream no matter where they come from. I've used them from a ditch before also. Worked fine. I still prefer shad though when I can catch them.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with everyone great bait:smile2:

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Charles, please define what you are calling bream, and what are you calling a ditch? I am not familiar with those terms. I know bream can be almost any small fish, but ditches around here are dry and run alongside all of the roads. :smile2:

13. bigun12

bigun12 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep! That's been my experience as well!:wink:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Minnows come from a minnow tank in the tackle store so I would think a bream is a bream wherever he lives.

Jack, let me introduce you to the low grounds. Many areas including eastern NC have ditches beside the road that stay full of water year round and some are even tidal. Without these ditches we would be innundated with water:lol:

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am talking about bluegill.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for clearing that up fellas. Now I can tell my uneducated friends that you catch your bluegill from ditches. lol
    They'll never believe me! (yeah when them boys from down south need bait, why they just pull to the side of the road and fish in the ditches! )lol :eek:oooh: :big_smile: :lol:

17. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i often use bream i cathch from a creek out back thats only 2=3 ft wide, and they work great anwhere i take them. most of the rivers i fish have more redeyes than bream so cathcing them there is not easy

18. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    neocats took the words right out of my mouth.

19. lklutts

lklutts New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Best flathead bait there is. Live and shaking. The more movement the better, ditch or b ayou doesnt matter.