Bream for bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Stlnifr, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Small question if I want to use a 5 inch bream for bait what size circle hook would I need and what would be the best way to hook it.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A 7/0 works fine.

3. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    As for hooking the bait, it's mostly a matter of preference. I've always been taught that in lower current to hook them behind the dorsal fin. In stronger current you hook them through the eyes or even in the mouth and through the nostril as long as you don't kill them by hitting the brain. Are you fishing a river or lake?

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

When I use live bait I try to use the biggest hook I can, up to 7/0, that the bait fish can still move around with but still have that injured look. I like to use 5/0 most times but will go bigger and smaller as needed. As for where to hook the bait I like a couple of different ways. First way is through the lips, bottom to top. Second is through the meat below and slightly behind the dorsal. Third is through the eyes, I learned this one here; thanks BOC members. I like the first and third one for current/river situations and drifting. I like the second for lake/still fishing. I am sure there are a few more ways to rig live bait, those are my prefered methods. Good Luck