Bream cut bait question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by niteangler, Dec 14, 2009.

1. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I typically use live or cut bream for bait, i was thinking about getting some menhaden oil to soak the cut bait in, anyone tried this? Also i shrimp here in SC and we use fish meal for bait, its mainly menhaden, i also use the meal to catch beam in my trap in ponds it works great. Think it would work as a chum for cats if put in a bag?

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yes, it should work fine.

3. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I have never tried it but it sounds like it would work.

4. bamayote

bamayote New Member

State:
    alabama
    i dont see why not

5. festus

festus New Member

Sure, any fatty fish that will put out an oil slick makes good chum. And soaking the cut bream in Menhaden oil should help, too. Bream is a lean fish, and the oil should enhance them. Most fish formulas that bass fishermen spray on the lures put out an oil slick, so you have a good idea.

6. sbirnel

sbirnel Member

State:
    TX
    it will work. but I gotta warn ya, that menhaden oil is some sticky, stinky stuff...and the smell wont wash out. if you get it on your clothes, washing them even repeatedly wont get the smell out, I tried adding ammonia, vinegar, baking soda, you name it and washed the clothes several times.... it didnt work the smell was still there!
    the only thing that did work, you have to hang them out in the sun for a few days, then wash, then hang out to dry in the sun again...and then maybe if youre lucky the smell will be gone. somehow sunshine breaks it down where soap and water cant.
    potent stuff!
    but yes, soaking cut bait in menhaden oil does help. have had good results on big blues using it!

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Here in Joisy we call em bunker. Ya won't be dissappointed.

8. shad slayer

shad slayer New Member

State:
    GA
    I didn't notice a difference using Menhaden oil. I might try it again someday but I went through a gallon or two of it and ruined my jacket in the process.

The smell never leaves clothes.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the USCA Brent.