bream became a gamefish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadchris, Mar 25, 2009.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    I was trout fishing the other day and i started a catfishing conversation with someone.He told me they bream are now illegal to use for bait.I'm wanting to call bs on this but im not sure.So i wanted to ask around.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    In SC, as far as I know, bream are perfectly legal, but are included in the daily creel limit for game fish. They can't be used on trotlines or set hooks, except in a few specific areas.

From the SCDNR regs:
    • Game fish may be used as bait to catch fish
    but must be included in daily bag limit.

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Tommy you are correct, SIR!!!:wink:

It may help to know that the body of water you are on is the creel limit that matters. Taking bream from one body of water to another is legal as long as you obey the limits for your current location.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea what he said, LOL.

Also Chris , I just wanted to mention that ya cant catch them in a cast net either, wasn't sure if you knew or not.

-Jim-

5. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    thanks guys.it's actually going to be used in a private pond.and i did not know about the castnet thing as well.whew.alright.:wink:

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If you're fishing for bait in a private pond, totally segregated from public waters, and using that bait in the same pond, then you can use a cast net to catch the bait, too. The regs are for public waters, not private.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....He told me they bream are now illegal to use for bait...."

Bream have always been game fish, that is nothing new.

Bream are not illegal to use for bait as long as you catch them on rod and reel.

You can use any other game fish for bait also, but on lakes where length limits apply ( i.e. largemouth bass, striper, crappie, etc) you need to be able to prove the size of the fish by keeping the carcass in one piece from head to tail.

With all game fish you need to be aware and observe the creel limits.

8. trackerpro17

trackerpro17 New Member

State:
    Nc
    What is the creel limit on Wylie for bream. Or should I say how many bream heads can I have and not get in trouble.

Thanks

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...What is the creel limit on Wylie for bream..."

Depends if you are in NC or SC.

No limit in NC, 30 in SC.

10. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
  11. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    one other thing, if you catch your fish in nc don't go in sc with too many, as i was told by a warden if you put in in sc ( bb bridge) and take out there you better be within the laws of sc ,

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Good point BowlerMan. :eek:oooh:

It is very hard to fish the middle of the lake, or the lower part of the lake, without crossing into SC at some point. So, you are better off have a SC license and abiding by SC rules on gamefish.

13. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    If you come sc to bream fish you make sure you don't go over the liment:crazy: but if you do, they will make you pay a fine and take your fish to.:sad2: