Bream bait help needed

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CatSlayer715, Sep 25, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    If you didnt have access to a live bait for catching bream, what could you use? I was using a small bettle spin and a rooster tail yesterday and i caught 2 but i could see about 40 of them just looking at it and following it. Then i used a bobber and a small chunk off of a pork for my bass jigs. Nothing hit it. Then i used a piece of a sponge dipped in secret 7 and they would peck at it but not hit it. what do yall use if you dont have access at the time for live bait. I use worms and crickets when i have a chance to get them but thats not all the time. Suggestions??

2. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Casting Net is what I use.
    From the bank I catch more Breams than shad.
    In the boat I catch more shad than breams.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wax worms and earth worms is what I use.

Bill in SC

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Imitation maggots from Food Source seem to work well and with them being in a reclosable bag there is no mess in your tackle box. My first choice is beetle spins too.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  5. Bionic Blade

Bionic Blade New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've seen on here somewhere, I can't remember which post or who mentioned it (sorry I've read too many post since I've been on here,) that canned corn works very well for bream, give it a try, hope it helps.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If I don't have worms them I outta luck. I tried the corn here and it didn't work...I was really hoping it would. Nets here aren't legal so thats out too.

7. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    try to catch some small grasshoppers or some small insect that wont sting or bite you and try them.

8. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    waxworms, is the main thing i use,ive run out before and grabbed bugs from under rocks/logs also small crawdads under rocks at edge of bank, seem to catch a lot on a small rapala cricket lure, top water, i now take that lure w/me every time as a back up , kids like to spill the waxies sometimes.:angry:

9. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Crickets are king for me, but I've caught a lot on weenies as well. I cut a piece 1/4 inch thick then cut it into 4 pieces. I start the hook near one edge, and go through the tough part/ Then rotate in and come through tough part a second time. MS Paint rules :wink::

Attached Files:

10. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Take a piece of bread and pinch off a small piece, roll it in your fingers and pinch it on a #12 hook, it will be about the size of a bb, use a very small split shot and a very small float. If you have extra bread you can chum with it just dont over do it or they will fill up and you are back to square one.

11. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Can't disagree with anything said so far. Worms, crickets, and roostertails are my favorites. Used corn and the worms in the ends of corn ears before too. Also used the larvae out of wasp nests before. Used floating fish food on a hook before, and also once used a mimic of a piece of floating food in the middle of some actual food. Throwing out a handful of food and then pulling a roostertail or beetlespin through it works too when they won't bite.

Catawba worms are great if you can get some. Dig around and find some worms, or catch anything with six legs. Crawfish work too.

If you have anything laying on the ground like sheet metal, old boards, or anything like that, turn it over and catch the crickets and whatever else may be under it. Also, if you have a place where the grass is overgrown and you can mow it, mow it and there will probably be hundreds of crickets hoping around.

12. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most of our "Bait" gills come from park ponds and we catch them on Foam bodies spiders (Tan or white) and Black Knats.
    If your not equiped with fly gear a spinning rod and a casting bubble will do just fine.
    If the water is warm and there is insect activity the spider is hands down the winner. when It get cooler the Black Knat has his day.

If we are hungry for a mess of slabs we go with Crickets, almost unweighted so they sorta float and sorta sink.

good luck and get after them
    ron

13. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Bacon fat will get the job done.

When I was a kid I fished every day in the summer and the first step was to raid Grandma's refrigerator for some bacon fat to catch bluegills for bait.
    I also caught a lot of eating-sized bluegills, some of them up to a pound.

You know, I used to tear them up on bacon fat but haven't tried it since I got big enough to drive the truck to the bait shop and started buying bait and artificials.
    Next time I go I'm gonna make some bacon strips.

14. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always use wax worms. No bobber. I put a small weight on the line 6" above my very small hook and let it sit on the bottom. Wrap the line around your finger, so you can feel the hits. Usually a fish everytime. Hope this helps

15. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Now that's a new one; I'll try it if I have the chance. Thanks.

16. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Ray so loves me to fish for brim! LOL Fresh bait. When I am out of worms I tend to use hotdogs. A small hook and a tiny piece of dog. 1 and i mean onlu one pinch weight. Throw it out as far as I strength will let it. Let is slowly drop to the bottom. Before it hits bottom I jerk a bit and allow it to drift again. Before too long those Brim just have to bite! Which again hubby loves for me to bait fish!
    I have yes even used a tiny piece of liver and had the same results. Think it is the way i do it not so much the bait i use

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Berkley Gulp Maggots All the way!White ones, not the pink ones!

18. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    That would be the best thing if it weren't illegal to catch and use bream out of a net. I'll try the maggots that i saw at walmart. Ive thought they might work. Thanks everybody..

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The maggots work pretty well, and I've had some luck with the Gulp nightcrawlers, too. Just had a good mess to eat last night, actually. Bream; not nightcrawlers. :wink:

20. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    If you cant find live bait try using small, tiny sized crankbaits, small jigs or spinners as well. Maggotts will work good also.