bream at altamaha

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Ryco10, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Ryco10

Ryco10 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does any one know what's the secret to catching bream on the Altamaha?

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Can't help you but give a little time I am sure someone will btw welcome to the BOC come join us for the Gathering in June

3. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the altamaha has a lot of bream in it they aint to hard to catch target them like you would any where else. shrimp work good too. jaycee landing is great for me :smile2: its also right by where the Ga record Flathead came outa

4. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I catch a lot of bream for fun, food, and bait on the Altamaha River. How I do it usually depends on minor things like -time of year, water temp, and water levels. When are you planning on going?

5. Ryco10

Ryco10 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Cuda, plan on going in April or May. I went there last May and couldn't hardly get a bream bite. It made me wonder if the Flatheads have left any....thanks

6. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Yeah, sometimes bream can be a little tricky to catch. I have a couple of favorite spots that work for me. Look for these small creeks that run off the main river. During the spring, the river will usually be up a little. I target these smaller creeks, fishing with worms, crickets, and beetle spins. Fish the edges during early morning and late evening and cloudy days. Fish a little deeper as the day gets longer. I can remember plenty of days when the bream didn't seem to be biting but I kept changing areas, baits, depths, etc. until I found what they wanted. I also fish the head of some holes in the main river when the water is down a bit. Fishing some slower currents during the day with depths from about 5 to 12 feet deep has put me on some big shellcrackers(10 inches) and redbreast(9 inches).
    I have only been fishing the Altamaha for about 11 years now so I wasn't around during the "good ol days" of bream fishing that people seem to talk about. I hear them talk about how the flathead has ate up all the bream but I still can catch all I need for bait or what I want to eat pretty regular. I think the past couple of years the low water in the spring has played more of a part for bad numbers of bream than the flathead. It doesn't help also when people go and catch hundreds of bream off of beds during week stays only to keep them in the freezer to be thrown out in the fall to make room for deer meat. The years when the river is up in the spring will show great bream catches later on. Let us know how you do...

7. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    like Cuda-Cada said to menny just fish when the catching is easey . catch a cooler full take them around show them off . throw all or most of them away . :crazy::confused2::sad2:.

8. Ryco10

Ryco10 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Appreciate the info Cuda. I'll keep you posted as we go. Maybe we can latch on to ole big flathead also...