Bream as bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 01 Mudslinger, May 21, 2006.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    when u guys are using cut up bream, you catchin em and using em fresh or catching a bunch and freezing em to use later. i caught right many this afternoon, aint got no way to keep em alive so i put em in the freezer and will thaw em out and cut em when i use em. im sure fresh is better, but how u guys do it?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The Fresher the better. Shovels fer sure can tell the difference.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Sarg!
    a blue or big Channel will hit them. I use frozen Shad back home here for Channels and they do pretty good. they don't stay on the hook as well but I don't think Bream will have that problem.

4. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    THATS USUALLY WHAT I DO,ILL CATCH A BUNCH IN MY THROW NET AND WHEN IM DONE FISHING I FREEZE THE REST FOR ANOTHER DAY.:smile2:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I usually keep mine in an aquarium,but the ones that die,I freeze them and use for cut bait.live is the best but frozen works also.

6. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    I like my alive

7. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I put them in a air rader bucket

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    freshly killed baits are always better, and ususally stay on the hook better. Sunfish (bream/bluegills etc) will freeze better than some of the other baits like minnows, shad, or suckers.

Since they're easy to catch and keep, having live ones gives you the option to fish live or cut-up. I've kept them alive weeks in a 48 qt cooler with an aerator inside where it's cool. Just change 3/4 of the water every day or two, depending on the number of baits.

Shawn

9. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If its frozen, it aint fresh, with frozen you can get a lot of rest waiting on bites.
    fresh= good bites

frozen= 80% less bites,but a lot of rest..

just my thoughts.................steve.

10. As they are the easiest to aquire in numbers for running lines. Most times shad will get a quicker bite but shad are one shot deal as they do not stay on the hook all that well. I've actually watched small channels bump the shad until it falls off the hook before they take the shad. Cut skipjack is a sure nuff cat getter but is harder to come by here. I do not like cut bream as it is not as productive as other species. I've had better luck on cut carp than cut bream.
    Bream are a three day bait for me. They are tough and lively and action definitely draws in the kittys. Day one they are strong and frisky and the most likely time to get Mr Flattie's interest. Day two they are slowing down and dying and less likely to pull in a flat but blues aren't as picky. Day three DEAD and starting to go south channels mainly but the blues aren't to proud to take something rank.
    I have tried to stretch the bait by cutting bream into bite sized pieces but have found that if I do so I can forget about flats and only draw in mostly channels (usually only after the bait starts to sour). I also lose one whole day of use. Bream not being as oily as other baits do not draw as well when cut. It seems the strongest drawing point of bream is motion not scent.
    Don't be afraid to use them whole and alive. I use any and all bream I catch from silver dollar size and up. A pound bream seems big but 20 pound cats have no problem sucking in a big bream. Just make sure your hooks are large enough to be used on bream this size and make sure the point is exposed and clear of scales.

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    What i normally do is go out with dip bait or other man made bait, use that for a while, then i fish for bream with ultra light tackle and nightcrawlers, once i catch some i use the bream either cut up or whole, and while im waiting for cats the hit my lines ill fish for more to use as bait later, its fun, keeps you entertained and gets you bait for your cats.

12. Caught a couple nice channels as well. I have found that more often than not a few channels will be hanging around the bream beds. I usually toss out a heavier rod or two just for that reason. Though I caught these on crickets and a bream rod. Got to love it when a bream rod doubles over.