Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
I wish they were here in MI, but we have a few weeks left to wait. I've gotten some nice big bluegill schooling near shore, all males though, about a week back. Yesterday I could not find the bite, so took what I could get, 15 smaller 'gills that were up against the shore line. Fishing without a boat or a fish finder sometimes it can be difficult to locate a good school. Some of the larger ones yesterday were females, but they weren't getting ready to bed yet. It will be a week or two and the crappie will be easy pickings off beds with a minnow, then a week or two after that the 'gills will start to bed here. Great fishing for a shore angler like myself.

I pan dressed my catch yesterday and made up my seasonal batch of fish stock with the harvest, a good way to use smaller bluegills. Added a bunch of veggies and fresh herbs, then strained it all to make a quart and a half of really nice broth that will be the base for catfish gumbo later in the year.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
they're bedding on oconee too now pretty good......me and a buddy went out and caught 25 good sized ones the other afternoon......most were bluegill though, one shellcracker.......next full moon it will really be on.......

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Me and a buddy have been catching some nice shell crackers up to a pound on glow worms here at out local lake, but the water is already in the 80s since its so small. They fight very hard on ultra light equip. The Crappie bite is steady as well on minnows and Glow worms. The big bluegills have been biting too. I wanna drop my Bluegill trap in the lake but I know i wont get any of the big shell crackers or gills in there unless I open up some of the holes

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Do they bite better when its a Full Moon? Are you fishing at night for them?
I beleive the spawning activity increases the closer you get to the full moon for bream......the closer you get to the full moon the more aggressive they seem on the beds......I like to fish for them either from sun-up till it gets hot......or start around 5 and fish till dark.......i've caught them at night too out of nessecity of needing some bait and they will bite at night too......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.