Breaking News from Lowrance

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Wabash River Bear, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got this lil tidbit in my e-mail today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    January 27, 2010
    Gordon Sprouse
    Navico
    918-438-8615
    gordon.sprouse@navico.com

LOWRANCE AFFIRMS CONTINUED COMMITMENT FOR DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPORT OF STRUCTURESCAN™ SONAR IMAGING TECHNOLOGY

Side-scanning and DownScan Imaging™ software and module add-on solution for HDS displays offers anglers and boaters a unique full-picture view of the underwater world.
    Tulsa, Okla. – Lowrance, a world-leading brand in marine electronics since 1957 and GPS navigational systems since 1992, re-affirmed today that the LSS-1 StructureScan™ sonar imaging module option – compatible with HDS fishfinder/chartplotter multifunction displays – will continue to be sold, distributed and fully supported worldwide.
    The announcement is a direct response to today’s patent infringement lawsuit filed against Navico, Inc., by Johnson Outdoors.
    Lowrance publicly announced the 2009 availability of LSS-1 StructureScan™ sonar imaging on February 20, 2009, at the Bassmaster® Classic Expo, held in Shreveport, La. Additional details – including the DownScan Imaging™ feature of StructureScan™ sonar imaging for Lowrance HDS displays – were revealed publicly on July 15, 2009, at the International Convention of Sportfishing Trades (ICAST), held in Orlando, Fla.
    Following the on-time shipment of LSS-1 StructureScan™ sonar imaging in November 2009, excitement of LSS-1 StructureScan™ sonar imaging continues to grow as media and dealer demonstrations at marine-industry events have revealed the unique “full picture” view and other unique features that this add-on module provides for owners of Lowrance HDS multifunction displays.
    The LSS-1 StructureScan™ sonar imaging is based on Navico’s known and reliable sonar technology, yet it also features additional new technology not available from others, in a unique add-on module configuration.
    “We are confident,” said Louis Chemi, COO for Navico Americas, “in the uniqueness and value of Lowrance LSS-1 StructureScan™ sonar imaging. We also wish to assure our customers that the worldwide sale and distribution of StructureScan™ sonar imaging will absolutely continue as planned with full Lowrance support for years to come. Navico will vigorously defend the recent legal proceedings initiated by Johnson Outdoors.”
    For more information on Lowrance StructureScan™ sonar imaging, Lowrance HDS multifunction displays, or the entire Lowrance line of marine electronics, please visit www.lowrance.com.
    -30-
    About Lowrance:
    The Lowrance® brand is wholly owned by Navico, Inc., a privately held, international marine electronics company. Navico is currently the world’s largest marine electronics company, and is the parent company to five well-established marine electronics brands: B&G®, Eagle®, Lowrance, Northstar and Simrad®. www.navico.com

2. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got the same e-mail. Here's what I found that it was about. Thanks for the heads up.
    Johnson Outdoors Files Lawsuit Against Navico
    SportsOneSource Media Posted: 1/27/2010

Johnson Outdoors Inc. has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Navico, Inc. for infringement of U.S. Patent No. 7,652,952 by Navico's sale of the Lowrance LSS-1 StructureScan Imaging System. Johnson Outdoors' patent protects the Humminbird Side Imaging sonar technology. The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court in Alabama, the home of Humminbird products for over 50 years.

Johnson Outdoors said Side Imaging sonar produces detailed and recognizable images of underwater objects and waterbeds enabling anglers to pinpoint habitat, structure and drop-offs which are prime holding areas for fish. The patent application process began in 2004 prior to the company's introduction of Side Imaging sonar in Humminbird 900 series fishfinder models the following year.

Consumer demand prompted Johnson Outdoors to expand utilization of Side Imaging sonar technology across a broad range of its Humminbird portfolio and was a key driver behind the brand's growth over the past four years. Following a comprehensive and methodical review process, on January 26, 2010, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted the Company's patent for "Side Imaging sonar."

"Our intellectual property policy is very simple: we will respect the property of others and fiercely protect that of our own. We were diligent throughout the Side Imaging sonar technology patent application process to ensure we achieved both because real innovation brings real value which our customers and consumers expect and demand. By taking steps to protect our ideas and inventions, we help ensure our ability to continue to bring forward meaningful advances and innovative products that excite consumers and build our customers' business," said Kelly Grindle, Group Vice President Marine Electronics & Watercraft.

The company's complaint says Navico, Inc. expended substantial resources to inform the trade and relevant purchasers of fish finding products, that it too would use side scan technology to compete directly with Humminbird Side Imaging sonar products with knowledge that the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office had approved the company's patent. The complaint further says Navico actively induced infringement of the patent by resellers.

The company is asking the Court to enjoin Navico from further infringement of the patented Side Imaging sonar technology.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sounds like the gloves are coming off...W

4. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The thing i don't understand is they are two totally different types of systems. I realize they both use the side imaging, but unless Lowrance took the actual software and hardware and copied it, I wouldn't think Johnson Outdoors would have a leg to stand on.

5. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Lawsuit or not I got mine from Cabelas a couple days ago an was installing it today on my boat can't wait to try it out

6. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got started installing mine the other day. I had to rearrange the transducers, due to the extra one with the Structurescan. I still have to mount the Structurescan unit under the console and run power to the two units. Hope to get it done and try it out this weekend. Thinking about going to Turtle Creek in Indiana, just to get some experience with it before we head to Florida next week.

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "Totally different" means one thing to us humans and another thing completely to lawyers.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    What a coincidence that Johnson Outdoors (Humminbird) patent was officially granted 2 days ago. I would guess they have been waiting for the patent to be officially granted before they could file the suit. Maybe they couldn't file suit until the patent was granted even though it was already approved. I don't know but this will most likely be tied up in the courts for a long time. I don't know how Navico is setting but Johnson Outdoors (Johnson&Johnson) has some pretty deep pockets.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  9. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Say Don, Do you know the reason for the toggle switch on the power source (yellow wire) when the red wire is hooked directly to the positive terminal .Hope it doesn't suck juice when not in use .Doesn't really explain in the instructions or else I missed it.If you know let me know.

10. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not sure. I get off of hootowls in the morning and hope to finish it up on my days off. I'll let you know if I find out. Maybe someone else that has already got their's installed can chime in and let us know.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry guys, cant help ya out. I have to wait for the tax man to get my structure scan.

12. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got mine installed. The yellow wire goes to an accessory switch or toggle switch, that goes to a hot lead. It wakes the Structurescan up and powers it up. It's only hot when the switch is on. I would recommend a lighted switch, just so you wouldn't forget it's on and run the battery down. That way it doesn't have to be on all of the time, if you don't want it to. The yellow wire on the HDS 5,7,8,10 goes to other units's yellow wires, if you are networking other HDS units, radar, etc. together. That way they'll wake up when you start the main unit up. At least that's the way I understand it.
    Oh, also if your unit is not working right or erratically, check your battery and see if it's got at least 10 volts in it. I thought I had a bad unit and couldn't get mine to work right. Checked and rechecked all of the wiring and was thoroughly disgusted. Then I finally came up with the idea of checking the battery. It only had about 7 volts in it. Once I charged it up, the HDS-8 worked just fine. Time to change the battery out, since it's 5 years old. Good luck with your install.

13. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL

As was said above, that yellow wire provides power to the structure scan transducer or "wakes it up". If you don't run it through a switch you will be able to hear your transducer "clicking" all of the time. This WILL run down your battery.

14. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the info guys hope we all catch more fish ,Need a structure scan update thread on here ,something to consider.