breaking line, hurting reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jun 27, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i always break my line on my reels wen i get hung up, some says this bend the spool, is that true, i cant loose all my line, but i hate the thoght of breaking my reels

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I carry a piece of 1 inch wooden dowel rod about 6 inches long,makes braking off with braid a lot easier.Yes,I do think it,s gonna hurt your reel.That,s why i use a 6 inch #60 mono leader with my #80 braid,when you do gotta break off,it,ll snap at your leader and you won,t be losing any line..Just wrap your line around the piece of dowel 5 or 6 times and pull with that.:wink:

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I usually wrap mine over the butt end of the rod before I start serious pulling.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I do the same thing. If I always had some dowel in my pocket, people might get the wrong idea.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea it helps to set :angry: me off :angry: 9999 times out of 10000 it will break at or near a knot if you break off like patcat or anyone else said, leaving a minimum ammount of line and tackle for someone or something to get tangeled up in. its irresponsible and not thoughtfull to others and the critters whos home now has a snare trap for them to get cought in and die or some other fisherperson loosing an awesume fish cause it got in someones garbage or tripping over line gatting hurt and breaking there favorite rod.....you get the point its a bad idea and i dont like it, if you cant break your line get some lighter line!!!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Step back from the King Kong line and be a fisherman.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks to the guy who told me to wrap it agest the butt of the rod ,,,,filled with rebar, and big rocks, but flatheads are as thick as asian carp their

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like that 50 pound power pro, i cant not use it, i need that king kong, to get king kong in this place, its gang ground and its nasty, but i dont care, its filled with flatheads, they drain it in the fall and clean out the line and hooks, so thats not a problem

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just don't get hung up! Lol, just kidding. I usually wrap my line around a stick and attempt to break it that way so there's no stress on the rod & reel.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My 3 favorite flathead poles have 100# power pro on them. I use 80 pound leaders so, I can break them off. I also use sinker slides and tie my weights to the snap swivel with 40-50 pound test. If my sinker gets hung up, I can break it off at the knot or the plastic slide. I rarely ever loose all of it. I have to cut a few feet off of my mainline every once in a while to get rid of worn line. That's something I never had to do before..

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would never try to break my line using the reel for two reasons. One reason is that I am pretty sure putting that much pressure on the spool is probably not good, and the second reason is that I use #65 power pro and I don't want the line to dig into and bury itself in the spool. I always use a good stick to pull out of snags.

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    i use 30 lb mono and can't even imagine trying to break off 80# line, especialy in a boat. the stick is a good idea though, i'll try that.

13. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    There are two things that can happen when you break line on the reel. One is the possibility of bending the spindle (the little "axle" the spool rides on). The other is compacting the line on the spool so much that it creates so much lateral pressure on the sides of the spool that the spool cracks. This happens more often with braids and super lines than with mono, But can happen with both.

Here is a pic of a Saltiga that had the lateral stress fracture.

Attached Files:

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have got so fed up trying to break 20 pound mono that I have dropped down to 14 pound test, and when I'm in a boat, that is hard to break. Figured if I had to use steel cable or such to catch a little fish, I might as well quit. I get hung up also by the fish, and when I loose one I simply say "AwShucks" or other choice words and re-rig. I just don't believe everybody who say they catch every fish they hook.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Aint much point in 100 pound test line when the drag on the reel won't even come within 20% of it.

It's a catfish. I've caught alot bigger, alot meaner, and with alot more teeth on ALOT less.
    Saltwater sportfishing for the most part is done with less.
    Some folks got it in their head that catfish are badass or something.

They aint been fishing yet.

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i would never use over 65, i like 50 braid,i will not breakline from the reel any more thanks

17. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use 30#XP I have a pair of leather gloves to break my line. Braid will not streach like mono will and when it breaks sinker will not fly back. If everone that ever had a snag cut thier lines. No one would be able to fish anywhere it would be just a big tangle of line. And I really dislike pulling in 20 to 30 feet of line all wrapped around my fish or keep snagging loose lines. Young people sometimes just do not think before they do things and that is how things happen to go wrong.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And I have had it happen when using 8 lb test with bass lures. Things happen. But have you ever visited a tail water area when they have stopped the release of water? Old fishing line everywhere. Should be illegal. lOL

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Use the dowel or handle of a net ,DONT use the reel.I use 80lb braid and I find the handle of my livewell dipnet handy.One tip for braid users.Give a sharp tug or pull.Steady pressure doesnt work as well.Good yank generally gets the job done. :smile2::big_smile: Duck if you have to!!!!

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    IF he had been using the rod to pull on it like a fish and had the rod bent over than yes, may be possable that rod flung it at him if it was not in deep enough water to slow it down (the rod would have stored the energy to release) . BUT braid has no stretch so if you are pulling on it wrapped around a stick there is no stored energy to release and there for no way for it to happen! mono wrapped around a stick will stretch there for having stored energy to release.