Breaking in the new ride

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mhedrick, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Sold my boat a little over a month ago, and I got a new Key West. Boy, going from a 150hp 2-stroke to a 115hp 4-stroke sure makes a difference in the gas bill. I went from about 2 mpg to nearly 6 mpg! Problem is I lost about 10 MPH, but I guess I can live with that.

I've had the boat for 1 month, and so far I've already had it a little over 20 miles out catching grouper, and I've been in High Rock working on my trolling techniques.

Some of you guys knew me by my previous boat, 186 Logic center console bay boat. Just wanted to show the new ride.

Now I just have to wait for High Rock to clear back up.

Tomahawk, now we can go King fishing.

Attached Files:

2. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    That is a very nice looking boat. Good luck on your journeys. Hope you get the big one.

3. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

Thats definitely a sweet piece you got yourself there. With all of this rain be careful on high rock for all that floating debris.

4. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Mike sorry to hear you left the Logic/Triumph community. I have the Triumph 190. Congrats on the Key West. The Key West is a great boat that you will definitely enjoy.
    later,
    Lindsay

5. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Lindsay,

I have nothing bad to say about the Triumph/Logic line. I really like how stable the 186/190 is. I had that boat set up perfectly for what I do. I had that boat in situations that would have sunk a fiberglass boat (Roanoke River and a Bridge...another story), and I will miss it.

However, my wife gave me the go-ahead to get a new boat, with the caveat that it must be easily navigated by a 3 year old. She got nervous about the shallow freeboard on the front casting deck, and the way that the rod holders on the console impede walking space.

I wanted something with more vee to get out further in the ocean, yet small enough to go with a 115 hp, and this is what I settled on. If it werent for the weight of my old boat, I would have put a 115hp on it, but when I weighed the boat (total package) it was almost 3500#. That put the hull/gear at near 2500# , and that was too much for a 115. That would have been the cheapest route to go though.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice boat man! That is one sweet catfishin' machine. One of these days I'll have a dedicated cat machine.

7. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Sweet ride,congrats!!!

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats ,sweet looking Key West

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Great looking boat, just be carefull going offshore. A storm a couple months ago capsized a 22' center console and they were only 2 miles off the beach. I'm not trying to burst your bubble on the new boat, just be carefull out there.

10. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice boat! Have fun and be safe.

11. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Your not busting my bubble. I've been around boats my whole life. I know you can get in trouble in a hurry. You have to pick your days. On that note, about two years ago, a brand new ~35' Carolina Classic went down in the Pamlico Sound, it can happen anywhere, to anybody.

You should always check forecasts prior to going out even in freshwater. However the storm that took out some boats back in June, wasn't even forecast. If you know how to properly operate a boat and dont get scared and do something stupid (like trying to turn around half way through an extremely rough inlet) you should be ok.

I saw a 14' tiller steer jon boat off Oak Island, NC trolling for spanish mackrel two weeks ago. But that day, you could have run a Ranger bass boat all the way to the Gulf Stream, and I'm not exaggerating.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    yeah I like those days bit seems like fish dont bite good when its that nice

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    About 15 years ago we were fishing at the Diamond Shoals Light Tower (thirteen miles offshore from Cape Hatteras) and there was two fellows on about a 14 jonboat out there fishing too. They had a Johnson 9.9 on the back and both had a milkjug with the top cut out of it and the handles still on it, using em as a bilge pump, bailing away. Those dudes were a little saltier than I am. LOL!

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Look real nice hope you enjoy it and good luck fishing