Breaking in New Handguns: Best Hand Gun break in techniques

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Thomas P. Conley, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I recently saw on TV a spot about breaking in a new handgun. It showed a different way that will make your barrels last much longer. You take and shoot once, clean gun and do this 5 times. Then shoot 5 rounds and clean gun do this for 6 times and you should have very little problems with buildup in your barrel. This was a S&W handgun show and a factory hand put on the demo. Seems like it will take a few hours of time to do this but the outcome would be of benefit.

2. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I'm no gun expert and not sure if it works or not. If that is S&W factory is putting out there then i wish they would put it in thier owners manuals. I bought a sigma .40 a year ago and have ran less than 150 rounds thru the pipe. Still dead on from the factory tho. I think unless you start shooting +p ammo or a lot of shooting w/o letting the weapon then you run the risk of burning out the barrel.

By the way my handgun was checked out by a police armorer before i ever put a single round through it. I think any good gun smith could provide the same service for you. Beside it is just a safety factor. Had a range master once that had boght a brand new ruger p85. He didn't have it checjed out before hand. When he tried to shoot he couldn't hit anything past 15 yrds. Upon breaking down the weapon he found out that only half of the barrel was rifled.

so please always have your weapons checked before you ever fire them.

3. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Okie, I don't know if S/W is having problems or not with their barrels but, the man was a S/W expert and stated the biggest problem they have is barrel burn-out. Sooo! this was their suggestions for barrel break-ins. But you Okie should know handling of weapons very well and proper care of your weapons. It might be some people don't clean their weapons after shooting them. Me, I like and shoot Rugers. I really enjoy the single six's of their guns the best.

4. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I know there are a few people out there that probably don't know much about cleaning a weapon. It will sure make it last a lot longer and shoot better if you do though. I always strip my weapons down as soon as i get home from the range. I also do a very thurough cleaning also before I reassemble the weapon.

In the military we always cleaned the wepons 3 times after we shot them. that meant the day we them and then once again for the next two days.

Just make sure you have everything you need before you start. i.e. solvent,patches,brushes and oil. A good cleaning kit doesn't cost more than a box of ammo so there is no reason not to have one on hand.

this is just my two cents worth.

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    can you remember the name of the program you watched and what network?
    i'd like to catch that on a rerun. based upon your description of the technique i cant find any logic to it at all. im a little more obsessive about cleaning my guns than most i know. my cleaning kit is contained in the largest tacklebox plano makes and have a secondary to contain the stuff the first wont hold. you shoot it, you clean it. you take it to woods and dont shoot it, you still clean it. it sits in the cabinet for a year without being shot or taken to woods, it gets a cleaning anyway. or maybe i just like tinkering with my guns???

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Bayoubear, I'm with you.

My guns are cleaned CONSTANTLY. I haven't shot some of my guns in 3-4 years. *(some are antiques, some I'm not fond of)* However, twice a year, normally around time change weekend, I pull them all out, and clean every last one of them. If I take them out to shoot, I clean them first, then reclean them after shooting.

7. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I think i have both bear and tdawg beat on the cleaning. I carry my sigma off duty almost daily. So every night when I'm done with it i break it down, clean it and of course oil the points on the slide rails. This may sound a bit obsessive but i know in a pinch that unles there is a failure with the ammo that when i pull the trigger i'm going to hear bang.

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    i use this stuff on my guns called Zep 45.
    was given to me by an industrial mechanic and supposedly the average joe
    cant buy it. id try Grainger or similar store??? ive never seen it for sale.
    best stuff ever. warning labels all over can but my sperm counts okay and i dont have cancer. even dissolved the rust pitting on a friends old shotgun without hurting the blue. if youve ever used the solvent/lube called PB, this stuff is better, and i thought PB was the cat's meow for years.

9. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    No I can't remember the show I saw this cleaning of new S/W guns on. I do have like 6 or 7 cleanning kits and my guns get cleaned alot. I shoot a good bit also. A passion of mine. I belong to a club that has a shooting group inside the club which I shoot with. I just heard of a new club which has comp. pistol shooting which as soon as I can get someone to take me there I plan on joining. Hey I'm retired so I have plenty of time to play.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Interesting thread.Bench rest shooters have gone through the one round clean one round clean for years.The theory is that it provides the final polish of the bore.If you shoot through a dirty new barrel the theory is the grit an powder residue scar the bore and reduce its accuracy potential.I believe the routine is for ten rounds.then 10 rounds more cleaning after every other round.Now this is for premium bench rest weapons where gilt edge accuracy is important.It prevents the tool marks from stripping jacket material and building up also.You can probably google search it and find plenty of articles on this procedure.

11. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    ahhhh, the light bulb goes off. now it makes sense. i do a field cleaning every few rounds when sighting in or target shooting w/ the deer rifles. (run a oily patch) im kinda anal about good shot placement on an animal but want a fouling shot first. under benchrest conditions or a humane kill are in order then of course i see the light but to suggest to the average joe with a pistol such an elaborate technique to break in a new gun.... hmmmm.??? never thought anything bad of s/w before and dont now but it does lend itself to the idea that a batch of barrels slipped by quality control that shouldnt have

12. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Even the marine corps shooting team I got temp. assigned to didn't clean thier pistols that much. Of course i never seen them shoot a match either. I'm not sure if that is only done during a match or what. I know from what i seen they only shot about 50 rounds, cleaned the weapons and that was it for the day.