Breaking down on the river

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Feb 19, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I was wondering if you are out on a cold winter day, and your boat breaks down, and no one else is around. Is there someone you can call, like will the water patrol come tow you or are you just out of luck??Just wondering in case this ever becomes an issue. Thanks.

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Thats why you need a marine radio on the big rivers as well as a good anchor, let the current take you out of the barge lane first then anchor and wait for help. Fire and Sheriff departments as well as the aux. coast guard monitor the marine channels. If you have a cell phone call the sheriff's office, they'll send someone out or call the coast guard. The river is a dangerous place to have boat trouble anytime of the year let alone in the winter..

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thanks, I thought you could probably dial 911 or the sheriffs office or something to help you out of a jam.. I have been lucky so far and my boat has always ran good..Just curious of what to do if something did happen.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have an Emergency Corp, they get called out for almost anything to do with the river. You get them by dialing 911. Later Andy

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like who to notify has already been covered. Just remember to have an emergency survival kit with you with either a sterno or 5 minute flares in it to build a fire if you can reach a bank. We vaccum sealed some essentials to keep them dry and ready for use if needed.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive had that happen, its no fun rowing a boat back to the ramp on the Ohio River.:embarassed:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Use an outfit called "SEATOW" Worth the anual membership if ya spend a ton of time on the river.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this excellent post.I've been there and done that. It works.:big_smile:

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee