Breaking an Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Has anyone here managed to accomplish this? Yesterday while out at Belews lake I snagged up one of my rigs. My experience has usually been to just keep pulling with steady pressure and I'd normally either straighten out the #2 treble hook, or break off the line, usually the leader. Not yesterday though, instead my pole snapped in two. It was a one piece, 7' "Catfish Ugly Stick", Med heavy, with a 6501 Ambassaduer spooled with 50lb Powerpro, a 3oz egg sinker, a 1/0 swivel, a 30lb mono leader (approx 24") and a #2 Eagle Claw, treble hook. This combination of tackle has never failed me before. Any ideas on what went wrong this time? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Mistakes are one thing, but not learning from them would just be stupid.

Jon

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    just tried that one too many times is all i can say. I always wrap line in a stick, or in abslense of stick the rod handle, and pull that way. this keeps all pressure off the rod and also keep the line from being burried in the reel.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We've actually tried to break them when hung on a snag to the point everybody starts backing up before the eyes become bullets.
    We've never broken one but I imagine if the weather were cool it could happen.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Only with a car door:sad2:
    Theyre a strong rod, but they are allergic to metal!

Kenny

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Maybe the rod was bruised.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I broke a two piece 12 footer a few years back. I sent it back to Shakespeare and they sent me a new one. Shakespeare website has a list of addresses where warrenty work is done. I mailed mine off to the closest one and got a new one back with no problem. They said to sent like a check for 6.50 I think for return postage but they sent my check back to me. :smile2:

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I managed to break 2 in one shot. Easy to do when I fall on them off a dock into a boat. Guess I should mention I weigh 400 pounds and the rods were proped up the side of the boat. And it was my oldest brother that caused the fall when he thought it would me funny to try to push me in the water.

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That's good information. I have never broken any of the Ugly Sticks that I have but if I did I would return it to Shakespeare because they are sold as lifetime guarantee. I've broken Penn, Shimano and Saber rods pulling on snags but never a Ugly Stick.

9. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Broke an 8 foot 2 piece !!!:angry:

10. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    this is what i normally do, it normally works.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    My guess is that the rod has been nicked somehow to weaken a little. Though, nothing is perfect. Anything could factor in on it, but they are a great rod and the company stands behind them. I am sure they will ship ya a new one......if you did not already trash it like I would of. lol

12. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    As reading this post the commerical came on where the wife keeps telling the guy that he is not going fishing and puts the ugly stick in the trash compacter. That is a great commerical. I have never broke an ugly stick but have had to replace the metal tips a few times.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have always tought ugly stick rods was underbrakeable, but maybe I was wrong. Try senting it back to shakespeare.

14. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks for the input guys. I hadn't thought of contacting Shakespeare, but after some of your suggestions, I have sent an e-mail to them, complete with pictures.

Jon

15. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Any rod can be broken if put in a situation for them to fail.You said that you was using 50 lb line and that is way over the rated line for the rod. Also when trying to break the line you need to make it a inline pull and not use the rod as a lever as it puts undue stress on the rod. Now for a ugly stick they will replace the pole just have to get it to them they will make it right. Might cost ya a little but that is better than not getting anything at all.I carry a piece of wooden dowel to wrap line around and pull with.

16. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not yet broke one but if i get another new pole i might just try...they're not that expensive so maybe i'll give it a try

17. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    still got one of dads old ugly sticks lying around nothing wrong with it, must be 25 years old

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That would be my vote, too.

19. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Must have been a bad rod. I bet if you call them they would send you another! I have never broke one fishing.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have seen a two piece splinter at the connection.

Other than that I have not been paying attention when drifting and looked up to see one bent in a shape it should not be bent in and NOT break.

I love the rods.

Jon I do want to know why you use 50 pound line with a 30 pound leader. Curious to what you thinking is there.