Breaking 50: A Success Story

Discussion in 'Outdoor Adventures' started by IrishO'Brady, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    As I have only begun to catfish hardcore about 3 months ago, I consider myself lucky. This isnt just my story, but also the BOC's and a good friend of mines. When I started trying to learn how to catch big cats, this was where I landed. And all the brothers and sisters here have been extermely helpful. I've accumulated more information here in a few months than I could've in a year on the water, and for that I thank you all.
    So...
    Given when I started I knew what I wanted... to break 50 with a blue. Now a 50lb blue is probly average to some here, small to some here, and huge to others.... let me rank myself in the "its huge to me" category. This goal seemed like maybe a " 2 year" type thing, with maybe a few exciting fish in between. I defenitely didnt expect it to be much sooner than that.With personal bests I went through them quick, and was very suprised... first a 25 #, then a 36 #, then a 44#. I was super happy with the 44.
    Sunday my buddy Jason(whom I taught to fish) and I were hitting Chickamagua.
    We caught a few scattered fish here and there, but in all honesty we had caught good numbers our last 3 trips, this time we were targeting a few "isolated giants". We made our drifts near some current, picking up a few 10-12 lb'ers. Still not much of what were were looking for. We went way off to a hump in slightly deeper water with little or no current or strcture. Nearly 7 hours later, Jason sticks one and his drag starts peeling. This was what he'd been waiting for. After a good fight he boated a 32 lb blue, and his new pb. He was beaming like a flashlight. The sun was setting and the temp was cooling a little... I thought "maybe this is the magic hour". I dropped my bait and had a good bite... but lo and behold somehow my hook just broke off.... must have been a fray in the line. I retied prettty quick and got it back down. 3 minutes later I hooked up with a fish and was astonished. With my drag at almost max on my calcutta 700 it was taking runs 50-70 yds long. Jason and I were shocked. Whatever it was had no intention of pulling me to the bottom, it was taking off. "maybe I hooked a world record gar?" I laughed, but Jason just shook his head no. The fight seemed like forever, and was what we both concurred was at least 10-12 minutes.What we pulled up was enormous and beautiful. An older gentleman came over a took a picture on his camera phone and let us borrow his scales (mine are small, I need a new one for christmas). The fish bottomed out the mans 50 lb scales, and that was good enough for me. He said the fish could easily be in the low 60's, but I can't be sure of that so Im posting it as 50+. I have a few more pictures of it Ill try to post tommorow.
    Thanks all once again for helping me with good questions, good answers, and an encouraging atmosphere... couldn't have done it without ya.
    -Chris

[​IMG]
    Jason's Best Cat

[​IMG]
    My 50lb+ Cat​

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man Chris that's a great fish and thanks for sharing it with us. I have found if you measure your fish and multiply that 3 times and then divide that by 2000 it will get you pretty close to the weight give or take 2-3 pounds. Say your fish measuered 48" ...48x48=2304x48=110592/2000 your fish would be about 55.30lbs. That has worked for me so far.

3. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

This is super handy, thankyou! :cool2: - I did have a built in tape measure on the berkley big game grippers, and if I can do this right the fish comes out 58.6 I beleive, however my measurements are written down in my boat, Ill have to double check it. The defenite moral here is Im buying a scale ... SOON :lol:

PS in case anybody wanted to know, I caught him on :
    Ugly Stick catfish rod
    Calcutta 700
    80lb power pro
    40lb Ande mono leaders
    3 way rig w/ 3 oz weight and #7 Lazer sharp circle
    using piece of cut chicken breast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.