Breakaway rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catBob, Sep 16, 2007.

1. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    let me just say top notch rod yea thery a lil high but u get what u pay for in the long run!! check out the ldx13' i own two of these rods and i can empty my built 6500 chrome rockets with 20lbs text which thats not saying a lot and plus these rods work well with circle hooks

2. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have been thinking of saving up to buy one of those rods. I have heard alot about them. Never really heard a bad thing about them as a matter of fact. Anybody?

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    they arre great rods and trust me you don't want to know how many of them i own.

4. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I've read a lot about how great they are for distance casting, but are they good rods for fishing once you've thrown it out there a long way? Do they have the strength to fight a 30lb. catfish? What kind of action do they have? After all of the good things I've seen about their castability, I'd sure like to try one out! Doug

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    doug, depending on which rod you choose yes they can handle a 30 pound catfish. i have 2 of the elusive 1419s and they are rated for up to 12 oz i used one of them this summer to beach a 50+ pound ray and last year used a 1508 to beach a 5 foot shark. as far as action they are moderately fast tapered which gives them a sensitive tip progressing down to a strong butt section capable of casting up to 16oz. hope this helps

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have a Breakaway rod that is a great casting rod.

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Breakaway is "ok"..

Breakaway rods used to be produced by AllStar.... and now they are produced by Rain Shadow (subsidiary of Batson Ent.).. if you want a breakaway but don't' want the price tag, and hastle of dealing with Nick's wife (ok that was a reference to a personal experience) buy a Rainshadow blank and have it wrapped the way you want it or like it.

I have a few of breakway's rods and honestly, none of them have outperformed rod's in the same class that I own, and all of these "customs" by Nick (or who ever was in the shop that day) had wraps finish and detail work comparable to any rod you'd get at walmart.

I have a few friends, and know of a few others over the net that have all bought an LDX and ended up having to strip the blank and add some "decent" guides and give it a proper wrap and finish because while the blank is excellent (for a very select "niche" market) the rest is way sub-par for the price.

Personally.. I will not be doing business with breakaway anymore.. but that's because of personal experiences with Nick and his wife...But the blanks are indeed first class.. thanks to Batson, not "Nickaway":roll_eyes:

If your considering a "real" breakaway (not the mass produced LDX/HDX economy line) look into Anyfish Anywhere (type AFAW USA in google)... they have a very nice selection of rods that would be great for cat fishing and are being compared by the big dawgs in competitive casting to Connoflex and Zziplex.. which is one heck of a compliment! Also, there are some vid's on youtube of both the omnipotent Nick at breakaway.. and the AFAW rods... search for breakaway and AFAW respectively .. or TommyCCP who is a well respected tournament caster and puts a couple AFAW through the paces...

8. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I can understand if you and breakaway have fell out at one time or another and i hate to here that but on the other hand ive had luck with my ldx i have 2 and when u do get a mass productions of rods you will have a bad apple in the bunch but in the end its what makes you happy and i must say you was professional about how u put it and Tommyccp also did a review on the new breakaways for nick also on the hdx & ldx good luck and thanks for the info on the afaw rod ill have to check them out

9. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Glad your happy with you LDX "mate":wink: (sorry couldn't resist, if you've talked to Nick you found that funny too I'm sure)
    Like I said, it is a good blank. Almost any 13' long piece of graphite will cost you the same neighborhood as the LDX complete.. so it is a nice rod for an entry level/economy casting rod for those who want to see if the long casting cannons are right for their taste.
    I do wish that your "one bad apple" scenario was the case however... a sub $200 13' beach rod is a dream come true.. sadly you get what you pay for.. and in the LDX all you get is decent blank.. the rest, including the fake-flock shrink wrap is gratis :big_smile:

By the way if you find the LDX is a tad light... but don't want to, or cant afford the HDX.. try cutting the tip off... I know of people that have cut 4, 6, and 8" off the tip of their LDX's in order to give the rod a faster action, handle more weight and suit their needs generally.. I've cut 6" off the but section off a 10'6" Heavy (the 1267) and it's become one of my favorite rod's.. Ironically.. I got the rod by accident.. but that's another story. after stripping it completely and rebuilding it from the ground up.. it's now a favorite...

10. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    LOL mate yea i know what you mean the ldx is the right weight for me the most lead i throw is 4oz ive thrown 4oz 477feet so far and i still have the level wind in on my reels dont know if thats good or not and i throw 20lbs line and on top of that im casting a regular over the head cast if that makes since i just like doing it if the fish ant biting or bored i would like to get a all out built 6500abu and a built rod to try my hand at just for the heck of it the reel i throw now are 6500 chrome rockets ive replaced the bearing add dual ball bearing level wind ball bearing idler gear and just keep it clean with good oil and ive been thinking about adding the magnet brake kit im not sure if would be any benefit i really think if do anymore to the reels while they still have level wind in them i might be back lashing more then any thing else not sure

11. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I have a breakaway HDX and pefectly happy with it... My casting distance is better. I haven't yet pulled in any monsters with it, but have pulled in some nice 30+ pound cats with it and it did great!

12. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    I build on Batson blanks and they changed their entire line of SUR blanks to 50/50 on all 2pc. models, I have a SUR1567F casting with Alps RRD guides for sale if anyone is interested I can PM pics to you. It has a black polycord handle wrap.

13. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I am gonna have you build me a custom, just don't know when yet. Actually had planned on it before now, but, I used all my fishing money on a HDX I couldn't afford to pass on. But, I gave this ABU 10000ct that needs a rod.

What do you suggest? I fish mostly at the spillways on keystone, gibson, and eufaula for those cats and then down on the gulf of mexico for sharks.

the 10000ct isn't the best casting reel out there, but any help it can get is good!

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Breakaway and a blue yonder..........someday.

15. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Right now I have 3- SB1685F 14' 1pc. wrapped with SS guides, I just ordered from Lamiglas 5 ea. GSB1621MH. but they are all customer ordered blanks, what lb. line you normally run on the 10.000?