Break One Nine. How about you Flaboy?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jan 7, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Break one nine, Flaboy. Come back at your next stage stop and quit reading the mail. Come on.

Lionel, visited with a friend of mine since I saw you the other day. Made me think of you and guys like you. He is a local boy. Runs his own tractor, dragging a box. Picks up what he can. He is also "on call" for an outfit out of Minnesota that does "specialty work." Oversize, overweight, hazardous, Govt. When they got something they want him to drag they give him a call. He bobtails to his rendezvous, backs under his load and is off. He just got back from a trip to South Texas. He got a big one. Overweight, oversize, hazardous and Govt. all rolled into one. Won't tell you what it was or where his destination was but it was a good haul for him. He said the skateboard he drug had more tires under it than Goodyear makes in a week.

He had two flag cars and a Bear up front and two flag cars behind. They restricted him to a light hammer and a boulevard walk all the way. He would pick up a new state bear in each state he crossed. He has ice in his veins, but he said he got the heebiejeebies going through Big D. From what I understood from him Dallas and those Texans just won't move for anybody or anything. Got tense for him there.

I am acquainted with several OTR folks, have always been. Ya gotta love it or ya don't last long. Some of these guys refuse to haul to New York, or Chicago, or the anywhere on either coast.

How about you Lionel? or other guys out there in etherland. Where won't ya go or do you take a load anywhere?

Hey Splitshot, out of curiosity, what was your handle?

Come back and give me a holler when you are cooling down.

Postbeetle

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Morning John, my handle was Goat roper. Many years ago i used to raise British toggenburg goats. A friend of mine gave me the handle because of one onry goat, i used to have to rope in order to get her in the barn. Chicago is the only City i will not drive in. Went there once, after getting my load off i called my dispatcher and told him if they ever sent me to Chicago again id quit. Two weeks later i quit. Started driving for a new company three days later. My first trip for them was to Boston and New York City. Out of the pan and into the fire!!!!!!! Actually it wasn't too bad, i went with another driver to learn my way around. What sealed the deal was they used single screw tractors with a 48 ft. trailer that was only 11 ft. 6 in in height. After learning Boston and N.Y.C. they added two more stops in Mass. I did that run for ten years, until i got my leg all busted up on a loading dock in Springfield Mass. My surgeon told me id probably never drive a truck again. One year later the Doctors released me to go back to work, but i couldn't pass the D.O.T. physical. That was the end of my 29 yr. driving career.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John ,In my former job in the fiber optics company I was Employed with I algo 'Drug a Skateboard 'I was One of Two of the Driver ,You get a Knack for draggin a 140,000lb 12 ft wide load around behind ya ,after a while ya dony look out the side view mirrors ,less your goin around or past something. :big_smile:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jonny the Postbeetle, Hey the only trucks I drive are 1/2 and 2/4 fords and I have been known to drag a boat ,car trailer or camper or two and I even use to play on the radio about 30 years ago believe it or not.I was all but ten or so and I was the West K Tiger.Dont know why my unc (CARP CATCER) give me that name probably cause I am so onrey but anyways use to live 3blocks from a big grain mill so I talked to all them gear jammers to boy you have a way makin me start to feel my young age and I thought the kids were enough fer that....SOMETIMES you are a class act
    :wink:
    Had to put my two in today I am giong snaggin word has it fishing poles are in season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    When I had a CB (Galaxy with 150 watt booster :eek:oooh:) my handle was Desert Eagle - for the Gun I also used to have one in .44 Mag before Marriage and Kids :smile2:

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Postbeetle, I drag a box. still tryin to figger out how to drive/back this thing.
    I've only been out here bout 9yrs. I pulled reefer for bout 4 yrs. Too lazy to pull tarps, I like the sound of the ICE roads tho!
    I wouldn't leave Fla till snowbirds moved in and tookover!
    co runs 48 + canney. I insist on stayin in the US, that means west of the hudson. I get a few sc to seattle. san diego n back a few weeks ago. I was in arKansas yesterday, Omaha tonite, ??? tomarrow.
    cb handle? anyone still use those? I have been the Ranger since early 70s
    as far as traffic, any big city has too much! try I-94 N at 5pm on fri.(Chicago) I-4 in Orlando,or I-75 in Tampa at rush hour. Lets don't ferget I-10 thru houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, or the loop around hot lanta! (how many petros are there here anyway? I done counted three!!) thats usually good for a few comments on the radio.

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Just a little update, I left philly the other day for Ill, now I am on my way to san fran for fri. settin in wyo. tonite but utah-nev tomarrow maby edge of cally

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

"Eighteen wheels - and a dozen roses......ten more miles - on his four day run.....a few more songs - from the all night radio.....then he'll spend the rest of his life with the one that he loves."

Well, he thought he would :wink:. I was married to a trucker once upon a time. Even considered getting a CDL myself, one of my close girlfriends did. Been on a few trips as a passenger here and there.....Norristown and Philly, NYC, and quite a few more local runs to places in NC/SC. If I went anywhere else I don't remember it. That was a loooooong time ago :smile2:.

I was known to jabber-jaw on the CB occasionally myself. His buddy bestowed me with the handle TripleS. I'll let y'all ponder on what you think that stands for :big_smile:.

You be careful out there Lionel, and don't forget to check in! ('Cause we KNOW you have a laptop now.) :cool2:

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you folks get a chance look at Flaboys Post about the perfect woman and his cry for HELP!

Lionel, I know it is a hard, grueling lonely life. But you just might have the solution. You could take her shopping at every Wal-Mart from coast to coast. Change her hairstyle and color everyday. Apply the kind of makeup you like. Park her in the shotgun seat and have conversations with her like a Professor. Will give your dog a chance to sleep without you disturbing it with conversation.

When you pull across a scale, rig her so she waves at the weigh master. Guarantee you will be flagged over after you scale out. Put wheels on her and walk into the I-80 truckstop at Walcott hand in hand. Counterup and tell the guy you want a room for the night. Imagine your trucker buddies thoughts as they see this.

When a lot lizard beats on your cab door stick stick your mannequins hand out and wave at the lady. "Go on down the line honey, he's mine and I ain't sharing."

Think of the possibilities Lionel. You won't be lonely anymore, she is a cheap feed and you will be known on every boulevard in America.

I like the idea.

Have a safe roll Lionel, there are some bad people out there. John.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    john i use to drive also.dont know if you could call it over the road or not tho.i hauled coal from red oak ok to forman arkansas in a 12 yard cable dump.my handle was varmit boy.my uncle ,the dirty old hermit,gave it to me cause i was always hunting some thing.

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    well, its sun morn an I'm stuck settin here in cali. :sad2: lite rain off n on.
    age old excuse, no freight. short load gotta be in LA tue morn. but then headin tward house fer a coupla days. :big_smile:
    I actually might to see my fishin poles altho not sure I'll get to use em.
    so far no lizzards seen on this trip except for a few gators on the road. as martha would say thats a GOOD thing!:smile2:
    not as obvious as they used to be. now you hear more advertizin on cb and less direct marketing. you can even sleep without gettin woke up every 1-2 hrs.:crazy:
    had to wait for the chain laws to go down b4 I could go thru donner pass last trip but no biggie.:wink:
    I love to BS but its hard to sound interesting about my every day travels as its allways the same, only diffrent.
    my new air card and the BOC help me remember there is a life for you fortunate ones. I am goin to step outta character and just say thanks for yall being there! BUT I will deny ever sayin such If its ever alluded to! :wink::wink:

12. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    ok, last post here for a while. left LA tue and got home fri eve (sc)
    home for a coupla days.
    I hope to get a little fishin in but probly too busy :embarassed:

postbeatle, hang in there.