Break Off or Leave?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here's the scenario:

You are flathunting one night when you get a good run:crazy:, set the hook:smile2:, and the fish swims into a snagg:embarassed:. Like most flathead fisherman, you get this eerie feeling in your stomach that it was nice fish:eek:oooh:.

So what do you do next?

Do you break it off, re-rig, and start the process over or do you leave the rod in it's holder to allow the fish to swim out and if so, how long do you usually wait for the fish?

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'd fish with my other rod till it got free until I was ready to leave if it wasn't free by then ,break off:sad2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Previously, I used to break 'em off out of frustration. I got a tip here last week about waiting for them to unwrap themselves. I have always tried to finesse them through the snags, and never had much luck with them unwrapping themselves. However, I think we all need to be just a little more patient before we break them off, especially if they are a trophy fish.

Bill in SC

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Not that it has ever done me any good(well, a time or two) but,,,,
    If I felt a fish, I will leave 'er sit 10 or 15 just to see what happens.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would wait awhile and see if it come loose if not I would break it off . Sometimes I might run the boat over to the spot and try scaring it out , this has worked before . Breaking off 65 pound power pro is pretty tough so I usually end up over by the snag working it out or cutting it off . After fishing a spot several times and having this happen you can remember the area of the snag and if again a fish heads for it you can wrestle him away from it before it happens .

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also try to leave it sit for a few if its not free when I'm ready to go then I'll snap it. I seen a video on youtube where a guy hooked a channel it run him in a snag......his buddy jumped in and shimmied down the line and got it unsnag.... thats another alternative.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The very same thing happened to me just a couple weeks ago. I hooked into a really good fish which I beleive was a winter-time Flathead. The fish stripped line off my reel and got into some rocks or ledge or jam of some kind. I could tell he was still on. I put the rod back into the rod holder and gave up some slack. The fish never moved for over an hour! I eventually broke the line when I was ready to leave. Very dis-heartening to lose a good one like that!:sad2:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, here is what has worked a few times for me. When a large flathead swims into a structure area, such as a logjam. First thing I do is loosen the drag on the reel. Very important when fishing monofilament not to strecth the line when the fish is dragging it through the stucture. A stretched line with cut, scape and abrase much more quickly often breaking under the immediate hard strains of a heavy running fish. After keeping light pressure on the line, and letting the fish to hopefully stage, (which they don't always do let me add, sometimes they swim around things so tight, they break the line themselves) I like to let anchor rope out and drift backwards towards the logjam. I have had better success when getting almost vertical on the fish, thus gaining some line back, getting them on a shorter line. Don't tighten down the reel. Simply try to put alittle pressure on the fish with the loose drag, often these fish will get their second wind by then, and will make another strong run or two. So the light drag is still essential. If the fish hasn't swam out, and I can't gain any ground on the fish after I think he or she has tired, I will place in the rod holder for a while. The thing I have learned is, If the fish isn't wrapped too bad, and it can take line, and you can gain line, it is better to take your time allowing the fish to wear down to work in your advantage. They will wear down, and every minute after the fish is hung intially and is still on, taking line works in your advantage whether you will get them out or not. Now, for tournament fishing, I have on two occasions had this happen, and simply swam the line down to the fish. I'm two for two on getting them unsnagged this way.LOL. But, that is dangerous, and don't suggest that as a method. Just thought I would add it, because it makes for a good story at the weigh-in when you have a big flat, and are still soaken wet! :smile2: rollo

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    When ever a fish hangs me up. If I feel it's a nice fish I usually wait em' out. Had a few swim back out on me last year. Had a few I also had to break off. I had a nice one hang up on me while fishing with another member, knew it was a nice size fish. Waited like 45 minutes before I finally got disgusted and broke the line...

Guess I should have called Jason and had him take a swim for me. Putting you on speed dial Bro...

10. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well after awhile we would cutt our line.We use 96# massonsbig cat line.
    That stuff is tough.One night a friend of mine fought a tophey flathead for 45 mintues .An ran him into a snag.We tryed evevey thing in the book .We would gain line .But this fish was not coming up.We ended up cutting line.
    Before wife an kids came into my life.I think if I was the one who had it on.I would have swam down an got it.but this area is very danergious.
    I forgot Troy was using 200# line.Looks like Troutline.The next time Im going to cut it an tie it to a tree .An ckeck it later.

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ill tell you a scenario I had in this situation. I was having a crazy night catching big flats. I hooked into a very nice flathead I would say at least 40#. I fought him for about 10 minutes and then he got hung up right under the boat. I tried and tried to get it un-hung. So I finally broke the line which was 65# braided line. About 20 minutes later I hooked into another very nice flathead. It made some runs all over the place like they like to do but, by doing so had wrapped around the excess line I had just broke. I could feel the flathead fighting but couldnt get him up any farther. I didnt have a clue it was wrapped around the line. Finally I started shining the high powered light into the river and seen the flathead about 10 feet down in the water wrapped around the other line. I was lucky because I have a very big net that extends pretty far out. I used the net and was able to get the flathead to the boat. He weighed 42# and without the net I wouldnt have landed him. I usually always try to get them out of the snag and will lay the pole down and wait but if there not coming out you got to break or cut the line.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ill tell you a scenario I had in this situation. I was having a crazy night catching big flats. I hooked into a very nice flathead I would say at least 40#. I fought him for about 10 minutes and then he got hung up right under the boat. I tried and tried to get it un-hung. So I finally broke the line which was 65# braided line. About 20 minutes later I hooked into another very nice flathead. It made some runs all over the place like they like to do but, by doing so had wrapped around the excess line I had just broke. I could feel the flathead fighting but couldnt get him up any farther. I didnt have a clue it was wrapped around the line. Finally I started shining the high powered light into the river and seen the flathead about 10 feet down in the water wrapped around the other line. I was lucky because I have a very big net that extends pretty far out. I used the net and was able to get the flathead to the boat. He weighed 42# and without the net I wouldnt have landed him. I usually always try to get them out of the snag and will lay the pole down and wait but if there not coming out you got to break or cut the line.

13. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    This is exactly what I was thinking. It wouldn't hurt waiting for about 10 minutes and then "pulling the plug". God knows when your next bite is:crazy::embarassed::eek:oooh:.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I saw on the National Geographic Channel on tuesday night where a dude fishing the Amazon for giant river cats got snagged up. He was determined not to break it off because he saw how big the fish was. he proceeded to get all the boats int he area and run round the hole where the fish was snagged. The boats were splashing the water and making noise and eventually the giant river cat got scared and swam out of the snagg. The fish was like 5 ft long.

16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I usually let them sit in the rod holder and hope they will untangle themselves. I usually don't give them more than 10-15 minutes though, then I break off.

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd just leave it for a while and hope it he frees himself up. I also have seen guys swim down the line and free them but that's not for me..lol With my luck I'd get down there and it would be a 6 foot gar. :eek:oooh::smile2:

18. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    TRY to Let it sit for a while, but It's hard just waiting and I want to keep trying to get it in..... If it ain't free by the time i'm ready to go, cut the line and cry.

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I can see this working however, I have never fished a tourney that you were allowed to leave the boat for any reason until the tourney was over,???