Break in

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by clintonhawg1, Mar 5, 2007.

1. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I just purchased a 99 merc 25hp motor 2 stroke never been in the water and ran .The owners manual says to brake the motor in with 25 to 1 ratio but it dont say specific if i need to run 3gallon or 6 gallon for the first tank. Any help would really be appreciated .

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's about whatever amount of gas it takes to run it for about 10 hrs at varying speeds.

You've got an engine that's 8 yrs old with an impellor that's been bent in position for 8 yrs. It'll probably still pump water, but not as well as if you get a new one in there.

Recently there was a member here talking about power head failure on that yr Merc 25's. I'll see if I can find the thread.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39533
    Here it is.

3. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I thank you for the info .So i went home and checked my numbers and my model is 25el 0t002791.it says 2000 at he top by the serial number and 99 down by the model.

4. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What kind of boat are you putting the motor on?

5. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    It is a 16ft seaark tunnel hull.

6. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Not sure if this helps any, but I just bought a 2006 Mercury 50 HP. Its oil injected. I was instructed to add 1 qt. of oil to the first 4 tanks of gas(9 gallon tank). I also had to run the first tank of gas at about half throttle.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's interesting - a dealer told me recently that the new Merc's were smart enough to inject extra oil on their own during the break-in period, gradually reducing it automatically as the break-in proceeds.

Could be he was talking about the bigger motors, but if yours is fuel-injected *and* oil-injected, I'd be suspicious of the dealer's instructions to run extra oil on your own.

When in doubt, read the owner's manual and follow it. I'd trust the instructions in the manual over the dealer's suggestions any day.

8. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Mr. T, I checked my owners manual and it said to add oil to the gas (50:1) for the FIRST tank only and not to the first 4 tanks as the dealer stated. I'm glad you mentioned that or I wouldnt have even checked it.

Thanks for the suggestion.