Break barrel airgun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by countrycat15, Oct 2, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey yall,i have an airgun not sure of the name but i bought it new for 20 bucks,it is a break down barrel,not sur what the velosity is on it but it seems to be pretty stong,so my quistion is are break barrels strong enough to take down squirrels and do yall think my gun will be ok for squirrel hunting.any info yall have will be greatly appretiated.thanks

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    No way to tell based on your description, depends on the velocity it produces.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There should be a manufactures name stamped somewhere in the barrel. After locating that, you'll be able to get more help/responses.

If it's the German made one like I use to own, it will be a GOOD squirrel gun.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I bought one made in China, and it isn't powerful enough to shoot completely through an aluminum soda can; also, it's so inaccurate you couldn't hit the wall of a barn---from the inside!

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    mine is a breakdown barrel and it is 1000 fps.
    oh and if I bought a pellet gun that wouldnt pierce a soda can, id surely get my money back! may as well have a daisy red rider bb gun lol.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    if the pellet shoots over 850fps with enough accuracy to hit the vital areas it should be good enough for small game. anything less i wouldnt even try on squrriels

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Set a steel vegetable can up in a safe place.Find out the furtherest distance that it will shoot through the can.That is your maximum killing range.Turn the can so that the bottom is facing you.The maximum distance that you can reliably hit the bottom of the can is your maximum shooting range.The shortest of these two distances is your maximum hunting range.peewee-williams

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Should be "Shoot through one side of the can".

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    But PeeWee what if I'm hunting squirells and not vegatable cans????? HAHAHAHAHAHA:lol: I know what you mean and its a good tip.Couldn't resist pulling your leg though.:lol: :smile2:

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would think that a lot more of those cans are hunted and killed than Squirrels.Now the toughest of those Squirrels are tenderer than the cans.That was just a good test to see if your gun had the penetration to kill and if you had the skill.I forgot to add that you were considered the worst of scum to shoot and break glass.Broken glass cuts bare feet.peewee-williams

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Slimepig, I'd swap my break-barrel airgun for a plain jane BB gun in a heartbeat. I made the mistake of thinking that just because it was a break-barrel airgun, it would be decent quality. But, like just about anything else, there's quality, and there's junk.

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I made the same mistake.The most valuable part of the gun that I bought was the stock if you needed firewood.I have never been able to beat a lever action Daisy for simple cheap enjoyable plinking.I say that having once owned over 50 guns in my life and having owned 8 pellet and BB guns.A yard,a wall and a $3.00 bale of hay.Still the easiest and most affordable way to keep your basic shooting skills in tune.With a Daisy Red Rider BB gun,a Marlin 39A 22 and a Marlin 336 30-30,I was ready to hunt anything from tin cans to Black Bear.I could afford to stay in practice too.I went through all of the Gun Magazine hype.I do believe that when I came up,well over half of the game was hunted with single shot 22's,single barrel shotguns and cheap military surplus rifles.I would say that 90% of the game of all types was killed with such.This was what most could afford.Now days we guys seem to be as brilliant with our gun wants as the women are with their makeup.Shameful but true.peewee-williams