Break Away Weights

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by fshnutz, Nov 20, 2007.

1. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Howdy,
    I recently tried a technique that worked well for me. It is by no means a new method, just new to me. Anyway, I tried tying a piece of light line (4-6 pounds lighter than your main line) from my slider to my weight. This way when I got snagged, I would only loose my weight and not the rest of my rig. Has anyone else tried this? I just wanted to put my seal of approval on this technique....try it out!
    Linz:wink:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Been doing that for several months now... got tired of loosing my terminal tackle. Now I have a spool of 6 lb test line in the boat I use to fasten sinkers to my main line. I fish with 17 lb test line, and have my hooks tied on with 14 lb test. Figure eventually I'll not have to replace my main line twice a year. LOL

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i did alot like that for drifting for salmon. It is different that drift-fishing cats, completely different. we would use 6lb test for weight and 10 for the mainline with 8lb leader. if had to hike in to a place would use 6lb leader too to cut down of stuff carried.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a snap swivel would serve the same purpose with less knots to tye. the snap will bend out of shape and let the sinker go, bend it back throw on another weight ready to go. its also easy to add, remove weight.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's been a good trick for over 50 years that I can remember. But when you're trying to cast such a rig, it's all too easy to break off the sinker during the cast. Here's a little gimmick that will prevent that.
    Take a good-sized (at least 4/0) and cut off the barb end right where it starts to bend into the J-shape. Tie this modified hook onto your line where you want your sinker to be attached during casting. Next attach your sinker with very light line to whatever point on your line you desire. Then tie a short piece of very heavy mono (minimum 50# test) onto your sinker, then tie a good-sized loop in the loose end and clip off the tag, leaving a piece of mono about 4" long with a loop in the end. When you're ready to make a cast, hang the sinker onto the modified hook using that loop. When you cast, the sinker is supported by the heavy mono, but when it hits the water, the loop will pop off the modified hook, leaving the sinker attached to your fishing line by only a light line that's easily broken. The reason you need to use such heavy mono is that it's stiff enough to make the loop stay open, rather than closing up around the modified hook, which might prevent the heavy line from popping off the hook.

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    could u please show a pic of this set up, i can not picture what u r saying

7. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    good info, been doing this for years it works . ty for he post

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a rough sketch:

Attached Files:

9. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ok, i get it now

10. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I found a post some where here on the forum that uses a very small diam. cotter pin to slide inside of a sinker, then slightly open the cotter pin. When it gets snagged the sinker slips off the cotter pin and you recover everything else. I tried it and works great.

11. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    These all sound like useful methods. I will be sure and give them all a try. Thanks guys!
    Linz:wink:

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I use 10# so it wont snap as quickly when casting 3, 4, or 5oz sinkers.

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I use a 2 swivel method with 17lbs. mono for my break away line for the weight. It's tough enough to hold the heavy weights I use in the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and won't break when casting, but if hung up I can break it off and still get the rest of my rig back.

Here is a pic of the 2 swivel rig

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Malichi/2swivelrig.jpg

I also add a small float on the leader to keep the bait off the bottom.