break away sinkers

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by lendog, Jun 24, 2009.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've been doin this for a while now and this works very well, i just tie a knot on one end of a bread tie and put it thru the sinker then i attach it to my sinker slide (which i use a snap swivel) when the sinker gets snagged the bread tie lets loose and i don't lose my whole rig

Attached Files:

2. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Good idea. Thanks.
    last year I started using a slide that has an open ended loop for the sinker clip. I've been using round disc sinkers with a metal attachment loop. I guess even molded sinker eyes would work with larger clips. I beleive the slides are made by Lindy. I've had sinkers snag and the clip and sinker pulle free of the slide and I was able to save the rest of my rig.

Attached Files:

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats a great idea. I am afraid the sinker would come loose when casting, because I bank fish and use 5 or 6oz and cast as far as possible. I may try running the tie through the eye on my flat bank sinkers and tie on to the sinker slide.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yea, insted of using the lindy sinker slides i use a snap swivel, alot cheaper, i also use some of the disc sinkers with the eyelet and still do the bread tie thing, and if ya use 4-5 oz. you can use longer ties like for trash bags and those work real good:wink:

5. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Great methods and thanks for sharing. I have tried this and didn't have confidence on heavier weights when fishing in current. Sometimes I throw 8 ounces. I have found a way to break off the sinker drop without losing the rig for larger weights, 4 to 10 ounces and I haven't busted one off when throwing. I tie two and sometimes three knots in the drop line between the swivel and the weight. If you hang the sinker, one or two snaps of the rod and the drop line breaks. Just another idea if you casting bigger weights.