Brazos River Catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by JLB, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JLB

JLB New Member

State:
    TX
    Hello all,
    I grew up on the Brazos and have been fishing it for almost 30 years now.
    I really love this river.
    I usually fish for pan sized channels and use minnows seined from the shallows. I like to let some smaller minnows die and brew in a bucket in the sun and get nice and stinky. I thread those on the hook and the put a live one at the end, they really love that !
    At night, they move up into the areas where shallows empty into 2 to 3 feet of water and thats a real good place to limit out starting about an hour before dark and usually the bite is on till midnight or so. In the day I look for cover in and around the main channel and this is a good time to take some flats as well. I usually try deep pools in slack water around rocks and other structure for the flats.
    I am going out Friday in the Mineral Wells area to spend a weekend on the river with a buddy of mine from California who recently moved here. I warned him this wasn't one of those sissy mountain streams where you toss flies for trout in 75 degree weather. No sir, we are talking primitive camping in sweltering Texas heat and onery, slimy cats!
    He says he can handle it, we will see lol.
    I will give a report with pics when I get back.

2. JLB

JLB New Member

State:
    TX
    We hit the river at 10 am on a Friday and headed upstream from Rochelles about 6 miles and found a nice island to camp on.
    My buddy Dylan caught this PB 25# flat on a dinky little Shimano spinner.
    Hers a pic of Dylan with his fish, you will notice the 4# blue on the stringer that gives some scale.
    Good work Dylan!

Attached Files:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff. Thanks for the update. Can't catch fish everytime but we surely try tho. That's a catfisherman.

4. breeze524

breeze524 New Member

State:
    texas
    hi i live in belton and lookin for spots to fish for cats was wondering if u could help where to go on the brazos

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC, and nice fish.

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    that water sure looks clear, is it a clear water river?

8. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    most of the brazos is really clear lots of rock and sand and peagravel but the other half of the river is mud and clay bottom which will leave it rather murky

9. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Nice catfish....my best is 20#.....guess I have work still to do ;)

10. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I used to fish the Brazos quite often when I was stationed in the Air Force at Dyess, AFB in Abilene. I know there are some huge flatheads in that river...we used to catch Bluegills (called Perch locally) and set them out at night...man what fun.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009