Brazos River, big fish, skinny water

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by gadzooks, Dec 12, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Sometimes, a friend and I take our kayaks and paddle downstream on the Brazos River at Marlin, Tx, set up camp, and fish for two or three days. We then paddle back upstream to go home. I couldn't make it this past weekend, so Kim, my friend went alone. He paddled down about 5 miles, set up camp on a large gravel bar, and set out his lines. That night and the next morning, he caught a about 25 lbs of eater size blues and channels. As he cast out the evening of the second day, he hooked a big fish on his light rod, a inexpensive Shimano reel and cheap Shakespeare pole, not an Ugly Stick. At first, he thought it was a big blue. But, after ten minutes, he decided it was a flathead. It took him 30 minutes to land the fish on the light tackle. According to his digital scales, the flathead weighed 31.5 lbs and was 40" long. He released the fish so we could catch it another day, maybe even it will have added weight.

In the section he was fishing, there's a lot of structure in the deepest part of the river, but the depth is about 5 ft at the deepest. Its fascinating what can come from skinny little rivers like the Braxos is below Marlin. He's caught fish up to 63lbs (gator gar).

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Here's the picture. The fish was caught on a river minnow. The minnow is silver looking and about 3/4" long. Its no more than a 1/16 to 1/18" wide. He was fishing for smaller channels and blues.

Attached Files:

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Nice fish Jerry thanks for sharing the pic. and, story.

4. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    nice catfish. I always wanted to fish that area. but I'm no river fisherman

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice fish. Sounds like a real fun way to fish.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Dave, you may appreciate the fact that my friend Kim is a former charter boat captain. He owned and captained his own off shore charter boat, captained for others when he sold his boat. Now, he primarily fishes freshwater in and around his home near Waco. Professional offshore fishing is an up and down industry.

7. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    what ramp are you talking about in Marlin. Is it easy to run an outboard I have as 14 foot flatbottom and a 25hp motor. Can I use my boat in this water okay?

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Can't get an outboard in that part of the Brazos. Lots of very low water we've had to drake our kayaks through. Its a small river, no real rapids, but the water gets thin in places. We put in at the Falls on the Brazos out of Marlin, but there is no ramp, just a steep bank. The nearest ramp is at Hwy 7. I haven't fished that area, but my friend says that its sometimes difficult for boats there too, have to watch water releases at the Whitney dam and the water levels at Waco to hit it right.