Brazos River around Waco

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by Loganwied, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Loganwied

Loganwied New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello all. I am new to this forum--in fact new to forums in general--and was hoping for some advice about the area of the brazos river close to waco. I just moved here from the Texas gulf coast and wanted to see if I couldn't catch me a big flathead or two in the brazos. Any and all advice (e.g. where to put in; what stretches of the river; jugs, limbs, or trotlines; on the bottom or freeline; etc) is welcome and appreciated. I am not new to river fishing, just new to the Brazos area.
    Thank Y'all

2. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    welcome logan are you south or north of waco and what size boat do you plan on using in the river or do you plan on bank fishing

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Logan welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Logan Welcome to the Brotherhood, from So. Illinois. Someone from your area will be along to answer your question.:0a22::0a22::0a25:

5. Loganwied

Loganwied New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm in north Waco but, of course, I'm willing to travel to where ever the fish are. I have a kayak and do most of my fishing from it.

6. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok around this area you can find sand bars with a deep channel and catch the flats and blues and also look for the downed timber preferrably the big hollowed out trees these hold monster flats and blues in the brazos and trinity rivers not sure where to put in down there if its light enough you shouldnt have a problem putting in at any bridge

7. Loganwied

Loganwied New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks a lot, man. My brother and I are going to give them hell this weekend. Would you anticipate any trouble catching bait? In the past, I've usually been able to catch all the bluegills and shad I need with a castnet. Is it any different in the Brazos?

8. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    your best bet would get your bait before you go i have often caught several good sized gills in a bait trap but usually bait is hard to come by in the river its more scattered than a lake or creek

9. Loganwied

Loganwied New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well good deal. I'm excited. I really appreciate your advice and will report back hopefully with a fishing story.
    I imagine we'll run a couple of trotlines, maybe some jugs (if the water permits), and rod & reel too. If they're out there, I don't doubt we'll find something to brag about.
    Thanks again.

10. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    be careful down there with all this rain lately the water can be nasty

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Logan.

12. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
  13. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from the Hill Country area...

14. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Welcome, I'm new here too. This past Sunday the water in Houston at the Brazos was still 6' up. Be careful out there in a kayak. I don't remember what the terrain is like on the South end of that damn.

Down here the wind in the canyons can blow you back up river under normal flows. No joke. Had it happen several times. Sometimes the wind forces one paddle down river! ;) I have sat in my canoe with the wind in my face and the current at my back and moved little more than inches over several minutes.

I usually never catch anything less than 7 or 8 pound blues when using 4"-6" bait. I have found that once the bait dies and can no longer right itself, it will begin rotating in the current and twist up the line quite a bit so I use a large snap swivel on the hook. Seems to work okay on the currents. Just my experience in Houston with that river. It can be a beast. Good luck and let us know!

15. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Logan...

16. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    welcome to the boc logan.

17. dieselman

dieselman New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome to the BOC !!

18. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    welcome

19. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Just Curious Logan, how did your trip go?

20. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Logan,

Welcome! I live in the Waco Area, and fish the river quite a bit! My Fishin Buddy and I usually fish at night from the bank at a few different places in the river. We also fish out of my 85 bass tracker too. My Son and his Buddies fish from thier Yaks in the South Bosque. You can put Your Yak in the S. Bos. under the Overpass on Hwy 84 past Hewitt going towards Magregor (south bound 84) You just go threw the Hewitt/Woodway area and go about 5miles max and You will pass over the river and there is a Golf Course on the right. You will then just loop around and get on the service road, and it takes Ya to the lower bridge, and You can see where everyone parks and fishes along the bank. It is easy to put Your Yak in there. Ya don't have to pass the river to get there, but I can't remember the name of the exit to take before getting to the river!:eek:oooh: When You put into the water go upstream and it leads to deeper water, then You will come to a fork in the creek. Go back to the left and You will get into the shallows where the other baots can't go( MOST of the time at normal water levels) and do some good fishing there too! The bottom turns from mud to gravel pretty quick! Great fishing there!

For bank fishing We usually fish a South Bouque Park off of Air Port Road. It is off of Lake Shore. It is the Underflow Dam of Lake Waco. You can fish from the Wing Wall Dam, or farther down on the bank or Rip Rap Rock bank too!

There is also Camron Park East n the main river. It is off of MLK and Lake Shore Dr. It has some pretty good bank fishing, and there is also a Boat Ramp where You can put Your Yak in!

Also you can Fish from the dock at MCC Boat ramp. It is down by the Brazos/Bosuqe River Stage off of Lake Shaore Dr. as well! It is a Nice Newer Dock made of that Plastic/Wood 2x boards. And the water is pretty deep in the main channel there too! Prob. 30'+ on the opisite side of the river from the dock!

And ALL of there places I have mentioned are in the river, so the wind isn't too big of a deal for You when You are on your Yak! Usually just a light breeze! And there are usually quite a bit of Yakers out there too, so the Big Boats know to watch for ya!

You can email me at: acurington@hot.rr.com and I can give You driving directions! At least try to give Ya directions! Lets just say I will give Ya the Best directions I can!!!:wink: All of these places are easy to find and fish!

Hope this helps!
    Drew