Brazos River... Anyone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by DryHole, Dec 4, 2006.

1. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    Hey all,
    I live in Katy and a couple years ago I spoke with a guy that told me about his adventures on the Brazos South of I-10.

He had a few holes he would set anchor above and told me he would get hammered by big cat's.

I dont have a boat so I will be fishing from shore.
    But I guess my question is .. Anyone here fish this water and can you share your storys and help a Brother out with some good spots off shore?
    I have lived here for 15 years and I have picked up some nice Cats over the years .
    But never anything over 8 to 10 lbs.
    I have never fished the large rivers and Its about time to give this a shot..
    Oh well if you can help please do ..

Thanks!

Scott

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Access is the problem with the Brazos, there isn't much. The banks are often steep. On another forum I can't post here because of the policy against posting fishing sites with forums (as a consequence, I no longer post links to this site on other fishing sites either), we discussed access at length, some of the guys were planning to float it in the area you are talking about. They did it and reported it to the texas kayak fishermen who were discussing it on the freshwater fishing forum. Perhaps the best place to access the river I've heard of is at FM 159. The Houston Canoe Club may run an article in its next news letter. Its on-line. As that's not a fishing forum and doesn't have any kind of a forum, I'd suggest that you go to hcc.com and subscribe to their email listserv. It'll give notice of when the newsletter will be published on line. It may come out this weekend. The people who floated the Brazos in the FM 159 area from the Houston Canoe Club had a lengthy series of emails about the trip. 159 appeared to be a good launch site, so it may be a good bank fishing site.

3. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    Cool thanks for the information.
    I guess I should have stated that I have a Canoe and such..

But my big problem is that river just looks so unfriendly as far as navagating a Canoe.

Im confadent and such as far as Canoeing skills but the Brazos can be a nasty river at times..

With the cold weather and the lack of any heavy rains the river looks calm..

But... Well you know..

Thanks again..
    Scotty

4. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    I actually grew up on the brazos down south closer to the gulf. I lived in brazoria and the boat ramp was next to my house. My friends and I have many of tales about the river some I think may be better then some of the adventures of Huck Finn. The thing to always look out for in the river that I found is the amount of stuff that floats down it.. You never know when a Giant Tree is gonna come up and knock the jesus outa your boat. Then again we salvaged a many of boats that floated up near our house... some at great risk to our lifes... "hey i was 16 and stupid" I've seen some pretty neat things on that river.... the biggest gator I've ever saw... and when the water surges after a big rain... a wall of tree's that would have been very deadly to anyone in it's waters.. The brazos this far south is deffinitly a fair weather river.. though I have seen bank fishers during high waters pull out some huge fish. All in all have respect for the river and I think you will be just fine. I know that really didnt help anything but I just felt like I should share my story

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The texas kayak fishermen who were going to float the Brazos in the area you are talking about did it and made a report on that forum. Its on the freshwater forum. You have to register to post, but not look.