brawley and surrounding areas

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by island joe, May 30, 2009.

1. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    Howdy everyone. I recently discovered this site after a 24 hour turn around to Brawley. I've done pretty good on average size cats, but no monsters. Can anyone give me any tips on techniques for catching flat heads. I would really like to know how.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome Chris to the BOC:wink: I ma in Fresno, so not much help from me, but there will be help coming your way I am sure. Stick around and make yourself at home:wink:

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Robb is correct just wait and see,and welcome to the BOC

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Chris welcome to the BOC ...I'am out here in central cali so i can't give you no advice.. But welcome to the Boc :cool2:

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Welcome to the BOC. Lots of flathead guys here. There is a gathering happening this weekend in Blythe that is all about a good time and flathead fishing. Also there is a flathead derby coming up on the 20th of June that team760 and I are hosting. Whatever you want just ask it. We know many areas and know the right gear thats required. Basically its simple as to the hooks, weight, line, reel, and rods. Flatheads are the strongest cats in American fresh water and you will want the gear that can hold up for the battle. MEdium action to heavy action rod. 30-50 pound mono or little more, braided line even for heavy structure or tunnel fishing in drains. 7/0 - 10/0 hooks in J's, circles, and kahles. Bluegill, Tilapia, and goldfish. 3 ounce to 6 ounce sinkers - no roll prefered, and swivels will get you on your way to getting a flathead. Imperial valley waters all the way to the Colorado River and its canals will give you what you want. Just hit em up and you are set or meet up with some of the bros and they will get you on deck. there are many more besides myself that will chime in their welcomes and knowledge as well so stay tuned for more. Try to make some of the events as well and you will learn.

6. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    Thanks. I'm standing by and waiting to fish.

7. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    Thanks bluehunter. I've never fished with gfish, or tilapia. Do I rig fixed or do I want the bait or sinker to slide?

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You want it to slide. Carolina rigg is best. Use the sinlkers with the hole in it like the no roll sinkers or a sliding egg sinker.

9. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    joe i fished out that way last week and did well on flats to 20lbs brian is right there is some good water to fish anythingg with a mud bank and preferably some structure like tulis trees snags drain pipes ets i did well on the slow water just off the main current in the snags i sugest no less than 30 lb test i fish 50 basically just follow what bluehunter saidhes the man i used goldfish but any live bluegill or tilapia works well even cut plugs can work many who fish down that way warn to be careful if you are goin to eat any fish somw of the waters are bad i know from the boc guys that the new river is a no go on eatin or water contact be careful there i guess the closer you can get to the colorado the safer you are i am about an hour away and am up for a missin just about anytime hope i halped a little ther is a lot of good guys to point you in the right direction

10. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    Thanks.

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Chris

12. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    regarding water quality there are basically three kinds of canals in the imperial valley . . .

1) source canals that come off the colorado river -- all fish from these are perfectly safe. infact, much of this water becomes drinking water for southern california. examples: AAC, central main, east highline, etc

2) canal / rivers which are fed solely from US farms -- these are safe to fish, but i wouldn't consume fish from these sources. alamo river is one of these. an easy way to determine if a canal is a source or exit canal . . . just follow it on google earth to its source. if the canal doesn't point back to the AAC, it is most likely from US farms.

3) rivers / canals with mexican source -- as far as i know, the only river / canal that meets this criteria is the new river. bottom line, this river is the main sewer system for mexicali mexico. my mother in law lives close to this river (in mexico) and it is so bad over there that the mexican government put it in a pipe and stuck it underground. never come near this river as it is very dangerous and filled with many unknown pollutants from mexican business, mexican farm runoff with US illegal chemicals, and tons of human waste . . . then add to that US farm runoff.

hope this helps.

btw, welcome to BOC

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Chris, Welcome to the BOC..
    You can go to the library on the site, and browse around with rigs, bait, tackle, etc..
    Main thing, is just get a line in the water!!

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Chris, You will get some catfish answers here. Warning, fishing for flatheads is addicting, at least you can go on the site and talk with fisherman, and women who have the same problem.:smile2:Once again welcome to the Brotherhood.

15. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    Obviously there is alot of talent in the BOC and I apreciate any sugestions you may have. Unfortunatley I can't fish everyday (I would if I could), and Brawley is a 3 1/2 hour drive. My plan of attack is base out of Brawley. Fish the East Highland above Calipatria, fish the AAC / 8, and some of the feeder canals in Brawley. Also fish anything that looks good.

16. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    In regards to using g-fish or gills, back hook them or ?

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Back hook them. Lower back.

18. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    Most of my cat fishing has been in the farm canals. Do flat cats ever get in those? Do you use a carolina rig in the tubes under the road?

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes they are in the farm canals. As far as the IV area I know the Alamo has them. We caugt a baby flat from I believe theTamarack. They are in a few others too I do not know them by name though as I am new to that area myself, so some of the IV vets can speak on that.

I can speak of the tubes under the rd and drain ditches for the Blythe area. From what I hear they use either a flyline rigg - no weight - or a split shot to go thru the tubes like the drain ditches. Personally I have not done that yet as it can be a little rugged for me, however I do plan to do that a few times, just to satisfy the adventurer in me. But a long as there are flats hitting on the main canals and the river I will fish those spots. I hear those kind of fishing is best in early spring anyways. Jaq has experience on that kind of fishing and he can speak better for that. As far as the pipes for the IV - I have no knowledge on that. I just know if you fish pass the drops in a lot of those canals including the ACC that is where a lot of the flats like to hang out at.

20. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    Thanks for the info. Last week I was at English and ? maybe Pond, above Calipatria, fishing a hole about 20 X 20. In less than an hour we had 10 c cats and 8 carp. Additionaly we had 10-15 small ones. Good fishing for 4:eek:o PM.