Brass swivels - terminal fishing tackle

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by cliff n york, Oct 2, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i read a report that barrel swivels do not turn while fighting a fish, also you should use a swivel rated at 200 lbs strength. do you agree with this an also what size swivel is this:sad2:

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use them and havnt experianced any line twist, but i dunno, never cought anything over 12 pounds so it could be true.:confused2:

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I never had problems with swivels not turning and as for # rating how strong is your line? A few years ago Catfishhunter and I did some break tests on different brands of 2/0 swivels.They broke from 112-136 lbs and even worst of the cheap wal mart swivels broke at 112lbs.The heavyest line I use is 80lbs so I don't worry about breaking swivels.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I haven't had any twist. I use 20 to 30lb rated swivels. :wink:

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    in all me years of fishing, never had a swivel break yet. never had a line twist problem either. i used to use snap swivels and have had them come open now. :angry:
    gary

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have got a few batches of swivels from BPS that I actually checked and tossed more than half away.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    last time i didnt use a swivel the cat had the line wraped around it. its been a while sence i went after cats without a swivel and its been a while sence ive seen this happen so id say for the most part barrels turn. all i use is the 1-2/0 wallmart barrels so id say expensive swivels would be for your piece of mind, cheep works.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I solve it by not even using a swivel. Yea I know I'm gonna hear about this one, lol. I use PowerPro in low to mid currents and find no need to put in two more weak links. Braid wont hold memory nor will it fly off your reel if it is twisted. I use carolina rigs using a split shot to hold her down ( the 3/4 oz slip sinker. The sliding sinker hasn't ever nicked or cut my line. I pin back my sinker about 16' from my hook and if I get a fish in I always cut my line back 2' and retie. The less links the better. Now don't get me wrong, my line does twist some but I fish for 10 or 12 hour shots and NEVER have a problem. When I get home I always soak my spool then go outside and pull out 100yrds ( I've actually marked my road with a permanent marker @ 75, 100, 150 yards) when I reel it in I use a hot wet rag to clamp down on my line. This will clean out the mud and straighten out your line. Its also a good time to clean off the scum around your spool or even wax it to smooth it off. Now this is on spinning gear and I know nothing about bait casting reels, I've never used one. Ok, you swivel heads..... I'm ready to be beat like a piƱata : )

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have bought some chaep wal-mart swivels and when i took them out of the pack there was 2 of them in the pack already seperated

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, I've also bought hooks that weren't looped around all the way. Its a good way for your line get nicked.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't worry about them breaking, but I did switch to ball-bearing swivels. I fish the MO river (3.5 - 4mph current) with big baits, and it causes a LOT of line twist:smile2: The ball-bearing swivels are spendy, but I like that better than seeing my 18" PowerPro leader come back 9" long because it's twisted so bad. I never had a problem with the cheap swivels in lakes or light current, but in the channel on the MO they don't turn worth a darn because the current pulling on the bait puts them in a bind and they can't swivel. Good Luck!

Branden

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I never had a problem with them not twisting or breaking on me. I have used the cheaper Eagle Claws and different brands. I suppose they could be some defects like anything else. Been mainly a channel hunter I started using swivels because the way channels love to roll & spin on you. Often I had line twisted on them ever since I started using the swivel i can't remember a recent incident where the fish had line wrapped on it.