Brand of Shad Tank?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by GMC FishHauler, Jan 4, 2009.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i am looking for 30-40gal oval bait tank that is insulated that can keep shad alive for 2-3 days.
    Any suggestions?
    I looked at creek bank, they better be good if they are gonna cost as much as they do!

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    go to bloodydecks.com they have some used at a good price or build your own. the pumps on ebay are cheap and as far insalateing there isnt a lot of need . use a little salt for livelyness and coffee creamer for the waste products. then if you want to filter it get a cheap wally world pool filter . a rubber maid cattle water tank 110 gal.

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have a built homemade tank, i have tried just about everything to keep shad alive in it and it will work for maybe 24hrs
    i cannot keep the water cool no matter how hard i try they die during the heat of the day. this is with adding frozen water bottles, maybe its just the danged bilge pump that is heating the water, either way, i am tired of having 10-20 nice perfect shad in the morning and by lunch half are dead

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Grayline or Creek Bank are the way to go. I prefer the Graylines because they have more insulation but they are both very good tanks. There not cheap and you will still need to babysit them during the hottest part of the summer. Keep the filters clean and the water temps right and they will pay for them selfs many times over with having fresh lively bait.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    how long can the greyline hold say 2 dozen shad?
    what about the "super bait tank"
    i have never heard of this one but i like the full removeable top
    I dont know about where ya'll live but in texas the summers are brutal. Frequently we will have 105 deg days and sometimes over that, i know that this kind of heat is hard to combat, but i am looking for something that can.
    and really, if i am going to spend over $500 for a tank, it SHOULD be able to work in that kind of environment

7. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I.M.O. the Super Bait Tank is much better than the Greyline. One of the guides on this lake bought a Greyline, did'nt like it at all, and took it back. We have about 8 full-time guides here and every one of them use's a Super Bait Tank. :wink:

My tank water stays cool all day in 90+ degree heat.

8. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
  9. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ok, thanks guys will do some more research on these two brands.
    I am leaning towards the greyline since they are close in OK, and i know a few folks using these that fish the same tourny series as i do

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Whatever makes you happy. :big_smile:

11. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    around here striper fisherman swear by vest tanks(super tank), if im not mistaken the graylines are one piece, the super tanks are not. as far as temps even with a super tank or grayline you will have to add ice, our summers get to 95 regularly and even with a top of the line tank you will still need to add ice. i wouldnt use the coffee creamer though it sinks the stuff, better to dip it out with a net. the cleaner the water the better the bait especially if you plan on trying to keep them a couple of days. i have a homemade tank that i keep shad and herring in for days at a time during the cold but come summer its tricky to keep them for more than a day even adding ice. also check out kodiak tanks thier suppose to have some kinda reverse flow thats better for shad. hope this helps

12. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    I have used a Grayline for a few years now , a 30 , and have good luck with it :if I dont over fill ,2 doz. good size shad,; doctor good with stock salt ; keep filter clean; keep cool not over 75 deg. and keep the pump working. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble , but i think all tanks will take some care if you want good live bait. Enjoy which everone you pick. Other than finding active , hungry fish, good bait realy helps.
    The Loard has prepared great fish for us in the blue cat

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I dont have a real fancy tank, just a 30 gallon round tank, and I modified some filters to keep the water clean. In the summer months, if this tank will be installed on your boat, you can run plumbing in and out of the tank. I find its alot easier to control the water temp this way, just by adding fresh water. I usually have no problem keeping 20+ shad alive even in the summer. Good luck with your search!:wink:

14. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i really want to see a tank that will keep blue back herring alive ,isnt that the same as skipjack ? if so it would be worth the price.

15. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i have a homemade 35 gal that i use for herring, works great in the mild or cold weather ok in the heat(its insulated with about a in of foam) but i have to add ice or do water change outs. ive keep herring for a few days at a time in the winter, but i run a filter for at home. a couple weeks back i keep some big gizzards for 8 days and they were great, changed the water out about every 3 days and run a pond pump for areation and filtering.

bluebacks are similar to alewife's but there different than skips, i think there in the same family but in generall bluebacks dont get bigger than about 6-8in in fresh water. they are hard to keep but not like skips(damn near impossible,without tubes).

ive been out with people that have some of the vest tanks and others and there really nice, the filtration systems are great and easy to deal with. hope to eventually get one myself. personally i striper fish alot so healthy bait is very important to me.

16. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    well we have big stripes in north al on the tenn river?

17. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i want to try to make it to the cumberland sometime:wink:, but weve got some pretty nice ones within about 15mins from my backyard:smile2: and alot more within a couple of hours.

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    If you run fresh water in and out of your bait tank you can't use the chemicals (shad keeper, rock salt and no foam) that are essential to keep shad fresh and lively. It is far better to use a self contained system with a filter and add ice to keep your water cool. I use a 40 gal. Super Bait Tank and normally carry 200 to 250 threadfin shad or up to about 100 (depending on their size) gizzard shad all day with no problems.

19. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    James, on the Grayline tanks, the pump and plumbing are inside the main section of the tank. NOT GOOD! Shad will constantly be rubbing and bumping into the pump and plumbing. That will rub their scales off and turn their nose's red.

On the Super Bait Tanks, everything is located in a seperate compartment out of the way.

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

i agree i also had a greyline and didnt like it , the filter system is too small , and like stated above the plumbing is inside the area as the shad ,

i sold my greyline and got a 50 gallon creek bank tank and love it the filter is 4x bigger then the greyline .