Brand of circle hooks for flatties.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by walongtree, May 21, 2008.

1. walongtree

walongtree New Member

State:
    NC
    Figure I would give it a try. I have used circle hooks for years on channels. Went fishing over the weekend with 4/0 eagle claw circle hooks and did not seem to do the job on flatties on the few bites I had. I think that the hooks are not wide enough. Can anyone tell me their pick of circle hooks for live bait "bream" fishing for flatties. Brand and size would be helpful.

DL

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Drew;
    First, WELCOME TO THE BOC!!:big_smile: I'm sure you will enjoy it more and more as you become more involved. It's a GREAT bunch of folks that will do their best to help you out. Having said that, sometimes you may be a bit overwhelmed by all the posts you get to a question but that is part of the fun. You will have to decide what works best for you from all of those posts!.
    Now, about your question. I'm going to make a suggestion. It may work for you and it may not but here goes.
    Try a Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus hook and see what happens to your hookup ratio.
    Give it a few days and I am sure some of the more educated and experienced Brothers and Sisters from your area will respond and will most likely, be able to help you even better. :big_smile: But I think you will like my suggestion. They are not too expensive and the one thing I have found about "Gama's" is that they come from the factory SHARP!!!
    Hope this helps and again "Welcome aboard"!! :big_smile:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Enough said!...W

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The Team Catfish 8/0 are working for me.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    There are 2 that have worked for me:
    1. Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circle
    2. Daiichi 7/0 circle chunk light

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Drew;
    You might want to listen to Wolfman's advice! Just look at all those award ribbons he has for winning Fishing Tournaments!!!:eek:oooh: In fact, I'm going to take his advice too!:wink:
    Hang in there, your already starting to get more posts and advice!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of post]]]]]

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    There are 2 that have worked for me:
    1. Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circle
    2. Daiichi 7/0 circle chunk light

I agree ^^^^^Make sure the Daiichi are the "lights"

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    im using 6/0 eagle claw circles and thats with 4-5'' gills. works real good on the channel cat aint caught a flattie but im sure itwill work.

9. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I agree 8/0 gammas or 9/0 kahles and also make sure you reel down until the fish trys to pull the rod from your hand to set the hook.

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    6/0 7/0 8/0 Gamacatsu octopus circles!

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Team Catfish double action in 8/0 everything else is second rate.

12. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use vmc 10/0 circle hooks and very rarely miss a fish...

13. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    team catfish circle hooks i usually use 8/0.

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    8/0 Gamma circles for me too. Ironically before I started using the gammas, I did catch my pb flathead, 40# on an eagle claw 4/0 circle but I was probably lucky it hooked him so well...lol :big_smile:

15. dudeman

dudeman New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Although I haven't used them on rod and reel, Eagle Claw 14/0 circle sea hooks have been working well for me on limb lines. I've been putting 8"-10" bream on them. Smaller bream in the 4" category I've been sticking on a 5/0 or 6/0 Eagle Claw circle hook.

16. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gammas are the best hooks that ive used, never used team catfish

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    vmc vanadium octopus circles, made by rapala. i use size 7, till i can find them bigger. might start using the gama 8/0 this year.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 8.0 Gamakatsu Octopus circles exclusively when fishing for blues, but find that the shank is not long enough to fish large live bait efficiently. Note, I said efficiently. This does not mean that you can't use the Gamas for live bait. To fish live bait, I like the Eagle Claw 10.0 King Kahles as they have a longer shank.
    BB in SC

19. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use Gamakatsu Oct 8/0 and bigger and the Daichii circle chunk lite's - the biggest I can find. It seems the Gammies have a wider gap - I bought some Daichii 13/0 before and the 8/0 Gammies had a wider gap. Try a few brands out and see which one you have a better success rate on. There are small differences in them plus the difference in how you handle the rod when a flathead takes the bait will be different from everybody else, so I would suggest trying a few brands. It seems the most widely used by people on the forum are Gammies, Daichiis, and Team Catfish.

20. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have the 8/0 Gamakatsu circles, but I have had most of my success with the 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus non-circles this year. :wink: