Brand new PB striper from Cordell Hull Dam

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Oct 25, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    32 pounder caught on a small live skipjack, below Cordell Hull Dam Sat morning. Enjoy the photo.:big_smile: Took 35 minutes to land this monster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. festus

festus New Member

Glad to hear you caught that monster, Don. If you remember, I told you in another thread if you kept fishing down there you'd get a bigger one soon. Were you fishing from shore?

3. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Don you keep on and you are going to forget about catfish! LOL :smile2:

4. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thats a nice fish. congrats on the catch

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Yeah from the shore.

6. festus

festus New Member

That's what I like about fishing below dams with live bait, you never know what you'll hook up with next--a catfish, striper, big smallmouth, muskie, a stray trout, or maybe even a dern American Eel.

7. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Congrats man... That one must have been a blast catching..so good to see your success.

8. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    WTG!!! That's a monster! what type of gear did u use to catch it, rod line...
    you musta been beat when you were done landing it!

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Congrats on your PB I fish Cordell Hull a couple times a year we stay at Defeated Creek park maybe Icould hook with some of you guys next year I got my PB smallmouthThere:smile2:

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congrats on a heck of a fish! I gotta get out there and catch me some soon.

11. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I was actually trying for big cats with my heavy duty pole and baitcaster reel, 65 pound test.

12. festus

festus New Member

We are blessed to be around some of the best striper fishing anywhere. You folks in Middle Tennessee have perhaps the top two reservoirs in the country for rockfishing, Old Hickory and Cordell Hull. And here in East Tennessee I'm within a half hour drive of Melton Hill Lake, which at one time held the world record for striped bass.

I found this interesting information from Tennessee Sportsman magazine:

Tennessee's Two Best Striper Fisheries
    The Clinch and Cumberland river systems have perhaps the best freshwater trophy-striper fisheries in the world. A world record could come from these waters any time.

by Etta Petijohn

When striper angler Ralph Dallas netted a new 65-pound, 6-ounce state-record striper from Cordell Hull Lake in April 2000, not many of the state's striper anglers were surprised. While Dallas fishes exclusively for trophy fish, those who like a lot of striped bass action know that the Cumberland and Clinch rivers are among the best in the country and are known for consistently producing big fish.

Dallas' state record is just 2 pounds, 2 ounces shy of the current world record for striped bass, which came from a California reservoir. It topped another state-record striper Dallas caught in 1997 from the Cumberland River system. That striper weighed 62 pounds.

In 1998, Knoxville resident Willis Marsh pulled a then-state-record 63.12-pound rockfish from Melton Hill Lake in East Tennessee, and in 1988, Gary Helms set a former world record for landlocked stripers, 60 pounds, while fishing at the Bull Run Steam Plant in Melton Hill reservoir, an impoundment of the Clinch River. Over the years, the Clinch River has yielded five state records.

Dallas is determined to catch the next world record and has a better chance than anyone. In early April 2001, while fishing Cordell Hull Lake 20 miles from the dam, one of his clients hooked onto a fish that, if boated, would have been a new world record. The fish broke the line, and one week later Dallas found it a few hundred yards from where it was hooked, hook and line still intact. A taxidermist, Dallas mounted the fish, which he said exceeds 70 pounds. The fish is 50 inches long and has a 38-inch girth.

A full-time fishing guide, Dallas has spent a lot of time on Cordell Hull and Old Hickory lakes, and this isn't the only time he has fought with, and lost, a new world record. They are in these areas, and in the spring, anglers from across the nation come in search of a world-record striped bass.

CUMBERLAND RIVER

Striped bass weighing more than 20 pounds are routinely caught from the Cumberland and the Clinch River systems, and 40-pounders are not strikingly rare anymore from Old Hickory and Cordell Hull lakes, which are both Cumberland River impoundments.

Both the Clinch and the Cumberland river systems not only yield big fish but also produce a lot of action for those anglers who enjoy tangling with these muscled fighters. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) stocks, on average, about five stripers per acre in these fisheries. That stocking, combined with perfect water conditions, has created one of the top striper fishing destinations in the country.

"We see more people every year coming to fish Old Hickory and Cordell Hull," said Tim Churchill, TWRA reservoir biologist. "Striper anglers are among the most mobile, and they will drive from other states to get to trophy fish. In addition, the Internet has spread the word about the quality of fishing we enjoy on these fisheries, and with it comes the out-of-state revenue.

"There is absolutely no doubt that Cordell Hull and Old Hickory lakes are the best striper fisheries in the United States," said Churchill.

Churchill said TWRA's creel surveys for the year 2000 indicate that striper anglers account for $467,000 in expenditures on Old Hickory Lake alone.

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    nice striper brotha! i dotn think ive ever caught a REAL striper..we are over run with hybrids down here

14. festus

festus New Member

Jeffro, do you know if the stripers reproduce out there? When they were stocked here, the biologists didn't think they could successfully breed, but they were wrong.

There is also an off breed, a striper crossed with a yellow bass they call the paradise bass. The picture I included below I found on the Internet a while back and I can't remember which state this guy caught it at. It has the color of a yellow bass, but the shape of a striper. They can grow to at least 15 pounds. It's an interesting fish, and I have heard of them being caught here.

15. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Hey I can never forget about the whiskerfish...LOL

16. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Now that is what I call a good fish, good job. Know lets back up here, you were asking us how to catch a big fish, I think you've been holding out on us. Heck of a job, we're proud for you:big_smile:

17. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Thanks, I just need to catch some big kitty's now!:wink:

18. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    That's a nice fish congrats

19. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats thats one nice fish!!!

20. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    Very nice big fish, hope someday it's my turn. Way to go.