Brand new boat problem..?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BLKCLOUD, Oct 1, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I just got a 2008 LOWE deck boat.. with a 175 optimax..I doesnt seem to go as fast as I thought it would, I called the company and the guy told me..she will run 48-50 mph..ok so why will mine only go 36..?? a little silence on the phone..sir..we are going to have to pick up your boat and tow it back to the factory to trim 3/8 of a inch from the back of the hull and re weld it..now I'm by no means a boat engineer but 3/8 of a inch off a 22'4" boat..??I just dont see it..have any of you ever heard of such??:confused2:

2. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Intersting keep us posted

3. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Let us know, but best I can figure, it must be transom height ,as I cant see that little bit of length effecting performance. But if the transom height (17 or 21) is wrong then it could effect plane.
    Maybe even the angle of the transom was wrong?
    Im really interested in this out come, please let me know.

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I think I would be pushing for a replacement boat. I wouldn't send a car back to the factory to have a new frame put under it. If it was built wrong, you don't want the headache of having to get it fixed. Who knows what else is wrong with it.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to the Mercury website and use their prop selector.I will be surprised if you will get 50 out of that boat.I have a 21 ft Triumph CC with a 200 Optimax and it does 50 and I bet it weighs 1000lbs less than that deckboat.In any case it should go faster so use the prop selector to get a recommendation then check it against what you have in pitch and size.:smile2:

6. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    They told you this without ever seeing the boat? If so, sounds like they have been down this road before, AKA, screw-up at the factory. I'd push for a new hull. Try searching the web for folks with similar problems.
    Keep us posted.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    We have a 2000 Lowe Tahiti 194 deck boat with a Mercury 115 EFI 2 stroke. It tops out at 36 mph with me and the wife in the boat. That 175 Optimax should make it do a lot more that your getting. IMHO What is the dealer telling you? If it is the angle of the transom you and change that with angle shims, unless I am mistaken. Transom height could be changed with a jack plate. I don't see that little on overall length changing anything. I would not want the boat after it has been cut on but that is just me. I would do like others have said and check the prop first. It sounds like Lowe has had this issue already if they through out the cutting option with out seeing the boat.:sad2: Sorry you are having issues with the new boat. Have you got to use it for fishing yet? How do you like it other that the speed issue?

Thanks

8. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I love it... plenty of room for to take the family, bimini top to keep the sun off your head..it has 4 fishing seats and a wireless trolling motor..I sometimes sit in the drivers set and run the trolling motor.. I wouldnt take a plug nickel for it..Lowe told me the other day that they thought they had fixed this problem but apparently not..They told me that when my fishing season was over to call them and they would come get the boat..I guess the first week of deer season would be a good time..:big_smile:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Absolutely they know (or think they know) what is wrong. That is a radical solution when the answer to that question is usually something like "Take it back to the dealer sir and have them check it out".
    Indeed, have you inquired at the dealer? It might be worth while to make sure they didn't rig it with the motor at the wrong height or with the wrong prop.
    If it does have to go back to the factory you should demand a new boat...W

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have though and though about this but..what if I get a new boat and its just like the other one..

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Keith do like the man suggested and let them come and get it. The factory will restart the warrenty from day one of the refix. They will do a better job on it then when it was assembled on the line.
    I would opt for them to come get it.

12. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I bought a Lowe 19' deck boat new in 1998, the first time I had it out the paint pealed of the bottom in big sheets.
    My dealer called Lowe they said use the boat all summer and in the fall they would come get it.
    Lowe got it that fall, had it back to me in about a month, they totaly reprimed and painted it (had a bad batch of primer). Never had another problem in the 6 years I had it.