brake lights hook up

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by Steven Armstrong, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    my son`s father inlaw has given him and his wife an 86 model jayco fifth wheel, there wasn`t a cord to hook up the brake lights, what is this called and can we buy one off of ebay?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't really understand your question, but you may take a trip to a Tractor Supply Store or a NAPA and explain the situation to them. I'm sure one or the other will be able to help.

3. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    this fifth wheel my son has didn`t come with a cord to hook up the brakes or brake lights, there is a female plug under the neck , we need some type of cord to run from the plug on the trailer to the plug on the back of his pickup, they are both round plugs.

4. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    They'll probably have to go to a RV location, it's just a double ended extension cable. I have not run across one that's not permanently attached to the RV. Is it possible that someone modified it? This thought comes to mind, if it's hooked up, rolling down the road and the end on the RV happens to vibrate loose, now there's no brakes, lights. Just a thought.

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    it sounds like the same principal as you use on a boat trailer look in the hole see how many pins and get a plug to match I always called em pig tails good luck

6. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    guys it looks like someone in the past cut the cable off and put in an female plug, i guess i `ll have two options, rewire it back like it was when new or use two male plugs with some s.o. cord in between and try to attach the trailer where it won`t vibate out. either way i don`t think it will be too be of a deal now that i know what i need. has anyone ever installed the electric brake controll that goes under the dash on a later model chevy truck?