Brain lock

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by smokey, Apr 18, 2008.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a tree in my yard, I cant think of the name. It has strange bark with a ridge that sticks up that runs the whole length of its branchs, and real long sharp thorns.I dont think the tree is good for much.It has real hard wood.thankx.
    smokey

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    long thorns, I would call it brush! LOL... it would be hacked down and not worried about its nature:wink: rollo

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Sounds like a honey locust to me or 1 of the other locust trees.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree, probably either honey or black locust. Does it have long flat bean pods on it?

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    honey locust dont have thorns but i think yer right about bein a black

locust. those were the only trees i never wanted to climb my 8 years as a

climber.

how big is the tree ?? with you sayin there is a ridge runnin the length of the branches my guess it cant be bigger than 10 in at the trunk. younger limbs on a locust are smooth until they get mature enough for the bark to start splittin. if ya dont want the tree there locust is great fire wood

all my input is based on Kansas conditions:big_smile:

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like a black locus to me ~

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx you guys I think it is a black Locust.reps to you both!
    smokey

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya my grandps cut a few down on the city (maintnence man in town here) a few years ago. its a locust of some species. i split it up for fire wood. hard and takes a long time to dry.

cut her down and ill bring the splitter down this weekend. AFTER the race well spilt her up,lol.:wink:

heres what some say.

Black locust is not native to the West Coast, so make sure that it is the same species that we call black locust in the East.

It is the hardest commercial species in the U.S. That certainly means hard to saw, glue, machine, etc.

The main use today for black locust is... xylophone keys!

If used for firewood, it is exciting--the moisture in the wood is converted to steam during heating, but cannot escape. So all of a sudden, "POW!" and then sparks fly all over.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Locust makes great fence posts. It will last 30 - 40 years in the ground. Put on good Red Brand wire fence as after a few years, you wont be able to drive a staple in it.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya seen that in the articles i was readin too. they said old timers out for fire wood were on top of old dead black locust. the trees and wood is so hard that years and years after they died they stood strong. rocking back and forth in the winds till eventually they would fall roots still attached. they just were to strong to break.