Braidwood?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by leutherv, May 25, 2008.

1. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just wondering has anyone been fishing Braidwood lately. I haven't been there yet this year and will be taking my boat out there for the first time. I've done pretty good from shore in the past on small Channel cats up to 3 pounds. I've heard the lake has been producing Channel's and Blue's up close to 30 pounds, and Flatheads into the 40's. All I seem to catch from shore is small Channel cats, there are lots of em though.

Thanks,
    Donald

2. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got my boat out finally. First day out in a boat on Braidwood. I was there when they opened the gates at about 6am, even though the sign said they would open at 6:30. I caught about 30 or so channel cats mostly little ones. Got 3 eating size about 1 1/2-2 pounds, and one 8 pound fish which was released. I don't keep channel cats over 5 pounds anymore. Prefer 2-3 pound fish for eating. I was fishing the south end of the lake using chicken liver, Kings punch bait both liver and blood. My bigger fish were all caught in deeper water. Tried drift fishing but I think the drift speed was too quick. As soon as I started anchoring I started catching fish. When I left I noticed the people fishing along shore were also getting some decent fish also. I also noticed one of my pet peeves people are leaving their trash all over the place even though there are garbage cans available. I hate sloppy outdoors people. I have 2 sons 3 and 5 years old and have been been instilling in them. Leave the place cleaner than you found it, take out more than you bring in. Even when we just go walking we usually have a garbage bag with us, and it is usually full when we leave.

3. mouth breather

mouth breather New Member

State:
    IL
    I just fished there last week from the shore with livers and cut bait fish. I had a hard time keeping two poles in the water at times. Most of the fish were small channels 10" to 14" with a few going up to 16".

The trash was horrible and there are tons of trash cans around :angry:(a can was placed by every fishing spot that I saw), makes me sick to see how lazy people are. I tried to clean up the spots that we fished in, but they are probably trashed already. Also many "bucket heads" (keep all fish no matter how small) around. How much meat can there be on a 7" channel cat? :sad2:

I plan on spending some time at this lake figuring out how to catch some bigger cats from shore. Any ideas?