Braids not being correct

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by photocat, Nov 8, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I was in Dicks Sporting Goods today looking at fishing stuff... and i took a look at the lines they had... compared some of the braids that they had to the othe mono's they had there... Yeah Gorilla Braid is off by a good bit on its mono diameter equivalent... I checked... the 50lb line says its got an equivalency of 14lb test... I checked it against 14 lb stren original and 14 and 17lb Cajun red line and it was nowhere close to being as thin as any of these... Then i checked the 35/10 and it wasn't close to being 10 lb stren original... it was about equal to 20 lb stren magna flex... off by 10 lbs in diameter equivalency....

I checked Fireline and Powerpro and they actually came in very close to equalling the mono equivelent...

I was shocked by the Gorilla...

Anyone else notice this?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Stren and other quality lines are probably not what Gorilla compares itself to. It may be a good line, but its not the same as P-pro or other super braids. Compare it to the cheapy shakespeare or house brand mono.

3. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I know the stren braid is THICK. I always give my buddy who uses it a hard time, we call it grandma's yarn :lol: . Suffix also has a relatively new braid, I havent tried it. Personally I roll with the P-pro.

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    just a thought , i wonder if they are makeing their comparison on the line after its been in the water and then stretched a bit .
    the gorilla braid to me looked like it was woven with a couple different
    types or at least colors of line makeing it a bit thicker looking?
    i havent seen any gorrila line around my area yet . i would like to give it a try on one pole to see what its about.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have to agree with Gadzooks on this one. Compare it to the low grade cheap "no name" line. I bet it's closer to those than the name brand "quaility" lines.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Historically one of the problems with braids is that they weren't round enough and tended to be flat.The fix for that was to weave the braid around a central filament such as the Stren braid which increased the diameter but also made it easier to cast and handle.Gorilla is exactly as Gadzooks said a lower quality line.Ande,Suffix,Fins,Power Pro and other quality lines generally match their mono comparison diameter.Remember the real advantage to braid is its strength to diameter ratio and no stretch factor.Some of the lines mentioned are not braids, such as Fireline.This is an extruded line totally different from the braiding process.:smile2:

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    yeah Ive noticed they tend to just bunch them all in one category as "super lines" when in fact some are different then others- I hear people say they want the "old cheap braid" they used to use on their Penn squidders back in the day. As I recall this line technically isnt braided either.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sure it was and is!Most ropes,lines and string was braided back then.Even your sisters hair was braided into "pigtails".We thought that the first mono filament was made from "Cats guts".Many old timers still call it that today.You can still buy the old style Dacron braided line in 20-200 lb.test.Check out BP,Cabela's and your coastal tackle shops that cater to your "offshore Game fish" crowd.It is still requested by many for backing when spooling their larger reels.How many lines were and still are routinely trusted when fishing for fish weighing up to and over 2000 pounds?It is also a excellent surf line as it handles the sand abrasion well.It is also a great night time and cold weather Surf and Catfish line as it has no memory and you can tie knots that will hold in it on a cold dark night with frozen numb hands better than anything else that I know of.Check it out.You will be surprised.It was and is still a great line.It is hard for young folks to believe due to advertisers who are more interested in selling instead of honesty,but "braided line"was out thousands of years before Mono.It was just made of different stuff called Cotton,Hemp,Flax,Wool,etc.Peewee-williams

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Thanks for clearing that up Peewee!!! I was thinking the same thing and you nailed it before I could!!!

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A thought along the same lines...I have never, ever gotten as much line of a given test on a reel as the manufacturer states it will hold. They must calculate the volume of the spool and then fill it with some mythical square line, so all of that volume is utilized!:big_smile:

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    PowerPro is definetly what it says or smaller as far as the diameter to mono. Great stuff. No stretch, more hookups.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I agree with Slimcat here. Powerpro is great line in my opinion.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    POWER PRO for all you users now comes in four colors one of which is white much to my absolute delight.Everything else fades to white anyway and it shows up much better at night.Has anybody seen the new ANDE braid?:smile2:

14. Semper_Fi

Semper_Fi New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I spooled up with Power Pro and have never looked back! Great stuff.

15. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't tried it yet, but I have some of the green 15 pound ready to spool up on a reel. I might try it ice fishing.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I started putting braid on my reels, so far I put it on two shimano baitrunner 6500b's and two penn captiva 4000's. I use spectra. The 50lb looks like sewing thread and the 20lb looks like 4lb test mono. This stuff is awesome. But at $27 a reel it will take me a little while to get all 10 reels done. I put it on my flounder/speckled trout rods and my hookups have increased by three. You can feel every single little bump of the bottom and lite bites. It makes you feel so much more connected to the bait. I cant wait to hook a running bluecat or flathead with the baitrunners. I think when they feel the no stretch of the braid, they will just float to the top and give up.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jason the best way to do it is buy the large spools like 1000yds 1200yds.I get mine from Cabelas and it works out much cheaper on a per reel basis.Also don't fill the reels ,just use 150 yds or so which is plenty.Remember "No Stretch"works both ways.I laugh a lot the first time my friends latch on to a 30-40 or bigger fish.Seems the fish can pull you to the side of the boat and pin you against the gunnel a lot easier with braid than mono.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :eek:oooh:

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I'm not even sure what kind of spectra it is, I got it at one of my local tackle shops. I left about 30yds of mono on the reels and then spooled the rest of it with spectra. I will call him today to see exactly what brand it is to see if I can buy it in bulk. All I know is that this braid is the best line I have used for sensitivity, and hook sets. I haven't used it catfishing yet but I will just have to see how it does. I should be going soon, the river is almost back to normal levels.

19. bobcat

bobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just finished respooling two abu 6000's with 50 lb powerpro at about $11 a reel. Got to get some more. I like it better than mono and seem to cast a lot farther. Gona go this way until something better comes available.:lol: