Braided vs. mono fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by whiskers9512, May 8, 2007.

1. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Which do most use?
    What brand?
    What poundage?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use both.but im gonna start using more braid.this last month ive started letting my line out about 80 to 90 yards to reach where the fish are.with mono ive been losing a lot of fish.with the braid i have yet to lose one. im fishing in open water tho.when im fishing logs or rocks i go back to mono.i use 50 lb.mono.im using 65 lb.braid.

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like to use Ande mono on baitcasters of the test reel manufacture recommends. Always keep a Zebco 33 useally with 8 lb. Strene.
    Jake

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Both have there time and place, but if I only had one rig then it would be spooled with 50 lb braid.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I recently went to braid on everything except the ultralights. I use spectra, which most braids are but they are not all created equal. I use 120lb braid on the cat rigs and 20lb braid on the flounder/speckled trout rods. Its amazing on how much more you can feel the bottom and every little bite with braid.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Mono on the bait rods and 65 to 100lb Power Pro on the big rods.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Which do most use? Mono only
    What brand? Berkley Big Game
    What poundage? 20lbs on my Abu 6500, 40lbs Abu 9000

8. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    I use 40# Berkley Big Game, but I am considering switching over to braid. Can anyone give some insight on the size weight needed to keep the bait where you want it when using mono vs braid? I was thinking of going to 50# braid which is about 1/2 the diameter of 40# mono. The weight needed should drop considerably if my thinking is correct, but I would like to have a better idea before I make the switch.

Joe

9. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never used braided I allways use 20 lb Cajin line on my catfishing rig., and 15 lb spider wire on my all purpose pole.:lol:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    30# Big Game (mono) Berkley all the way. No problems found.:lol: :big_smile:

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    65lb. suffix performance braid main line and 50lb.mono leader.

the suffix braid has some type of coating on it. it feels almost like a monofilament...(microfilament)

it is the best line I have ever used....it is expensive but I only have to change it every other year....

It works great in open water, stumps and rocks....and when you get hung up with it your more than likely going to pull the snag back to the boat.

It does have a hum to it in a strong current...but the fish don't mind.

I should mention that I am using open face reels.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What you use depends on what type fishing you do. If I was in your boat, there would be now question, I would use 65 to 80 lb power pro. Since I do not fish from your boat, or any boat, I bank fish only. I use 12' rods and Abu pro rockets. I would love to use 50# power pro on my reels, but, for distance casting, they are not the best choice. So I use Breakaway mono. I have 2 Okuma Avenger spinning reels on 12' rods which I very seldom use, but they are both spooled with 50# power pro and work great. I am sure this does not answer your question, but my opinion is, if you can use the braids ...do it. Good luck.

13. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use 50lb & 60lb Tuf-Line braided musky line on my Shimano 400 Corsair baitcast reels.I am 100% worry free on breaking with these lines.The only thing i have to worry about is if i tied the hook good enough or if i have a good hook set.50lb Power pro on my spinning reels since i use them to cast alot farther than my baitcast.I`ve always opted out of mono since they tend to fray under heavy cover and thats the last thing you want to worry about if you have a biggun on...