Braided vs mono and the difference in reel types

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by hopnbrly, Feb 20, 2006.

1. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    ive seen a fair amount of discussion on whats better mono or braided on different posts,My question is do you guys have a different opinion about what a good line on a baitcaster but sucks on a spinning reel?Or for that matter even if one doesnt suck what advantages and disadvantages based on fishing conditions do the various combos between reel and line type give each guys based on your experience?

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well mono line seems to have a memory and on some open face spinning reels that can be a problem. Usualy a ggod quality line will help with that. On most of my open face spinning reels I use spiderline, a braid line, and it seems to work good in all my reels. My smaller spinning reel and my baitcaster are spooled with berkley big game 14 lb and 20lb some realy good mono line. Also for me atleast when my line does get tangled the heavy braid seems easier to get untangled. Another good thing about braid is their is no stretch in the line which is good for setting the hook and keeping a good hook on the fish.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    While no stretch may be great if you are a hard hook setter, with circle hooks, the stretch of mono may give some advantage. Both types of lines have pros and cons.
    The real secret to any line is to use a good quality brand. Braid does work well on spinning reels, but can tend to wrap around tips real easy on whippy tipped long rods. There's no memory problem, but you do need to make sure when loading the reel that it packs down tightly. On bait casters, it can be more of a pain if you get a birds nest.

I use Berkley Big Game for most of my fishing. Partly, its a cost thing. Never have many problems with Big Game, change it fairly often, and get it for a fair price. Both lines have their place. The one thing I don't like about braid is that you have to pretty much wear gloves or wrap the line around something if you need to pull on it when trying to unsnag a hook. Also, if you use nail clipper type devices to cut your line, they won't work on braid. I just get kids Fiskar scissors from Wally World...88 cents.

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    The thing I like about braided line is you don't have to change it so much, and no stretch, I hurt my hook setin arm a few tears ago, and I don't have that snap that I did, so braided works greate for me. The one problem that I have, is if you snag on a log, and pull back the line sucks down in the spool more than mono. But thats the only problem I have.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Yes the braid will cut you easier and is a pain to break off when your snagged. But I went from loosing alot of tackle while mainly using mono to loosing very little with braid. And most of the time I don't break off, I tend to bend a hook. I don't see line stretch as a good thing.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I like braid better. for the reasons tncatfishing said.;)

7. HookinHand

HookinHand New Member

State:
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have had problems with braid on my baitcasters, it seems to bury itself. Am I loading the reel right? I use nothing but braid on my spinners and my salt water bottom fishing rods, I would love to use it on my baitcasters I use for cats.

8. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hi Guys,
    ive used braided line for awhile now and love it ,will never use mono again,i use a tidewater reel with 65lb power pro. with a medium action rod and near zero stretch gives me a good hook up ratio.but if your haveing trouble with line buring ,its a sign you need to repack your reel,If your line starts to feel soft or mushy on the reel, especially when fishing with light baits, you should repack your reel. Make an extra long cast or let the line out behind your boat, then reel it in while holding the line taut with your fingers. This will improve casting performance and keep the line from "digging in" after a solid strike.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Mono has it't great pionts like better abrasion resistance and that it may
    (opinion) not let the cats feel the "clickers" as much as the super-lines.

The super-lines have some good features to it that help me bank fishing the big river that I did not see above.

1) The small diameter helps when its very windy, like in 25 mph winds

2) The small diameter also helps in a current by needing less weight to hold in place.

3) When tight-lining it you can keep a tighter line in the current and this helps detect lite-bites etc., and I'ma talkin the "Big Cats"!!

4) The no-stretch allows you to detect lite- bites better than with a stretch- mono.

5) When using "J" hooks the super-lines are alot faster when setting the hook!! I mean big time tooooo, when you have 40 yds of mono line out there vs a super-line!!

Hope this helps

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have not had a problem with the braid digging into any of my spools yet, does this happen with a smaller lb test braid as I use 50lb.

11. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Problem comes mostly from spooling with little or no tension. Makes a much bigger difference with the braids than with mono.

Ive also had problems with spiderwire stealth digging in a bit more, along with it not casting as smoothly in my baitcasters. Probably just me, but ill spend the extra 2 bucks for regular spiderwire.

Course if you get hung and pull, the braid is gonna dig in pretty bad, best thing is to wrap it around your net or paddle handle a couple times and pull with that.

12. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    There is a way to help solve the problem with the line digging back into itself on the reel, when pulling on the reel when snagged. First, find yourself a 1" - 2" round piece of wood (piece of broom handle works). Don't tighten your drag and use that to try and get rid of a snag. Instead, wrap a few turns of braided line from your pole around that piece of wood and then pull on the wood. This will help solve the digging of the line back into the spool and also help protect your drag system on your reel. This has seemed to help me.

13. redhawknc1

redhawknc1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Any trouble with the braided line harming the eyes on your rods and reels? Haven't used anything but mono line for 40 years, but thinking of trying some.

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Braid has done no damage to the eyelets of my rods, I believe since the first intro of braid they have made it better.