Braided or Mono ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by river_rat_42, Sep 13, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just wondering what type of line you guys like to use. Whether you like Mono or Braided lines for catfishing. I personaly like Mono because I used to use Braided line (Stren Super Braid) and I had a few problems with it. Like it would tangle up and random different things. I use a Ambasseduer 7000C3 now and I have 30lb. test Berkley Big Game (mono) on it, and I am yet to have a problem with it. So, really, im not going to change lines. I was just wonderin' which kind you guys prefered MONO OR BRAIDED. Also, WHAT BRAND of line is it that you like/use. Thanks Fellas

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Mono All The Way For Me. Have Tried The Braided. Wasn't Impressed.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Craig go to the search button at the top of the page above.Its blue.Type in braided lines or mono then sit back and spend the next couple of days digesting the info that has been discussed ,cussed then discussed some more.Probably the most asked question of all time and folks might be a tad tired of answering it.:smile2: :roll_eyes: :big_smile:

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I hated the super lines, very scary with big fish and losing a finger or worse!!! It seemed to tangle in the smaller lighter ones like the 30# Class.

BUT the "Super Lines!!!

If river fishing & "TIGHT-LINING" in the current 1) one can use less weight & keep a tighter line. 2) No stretch so I can see more of what the fish are doing!!!! 3) The 50# Class seems not to tangle and is easier to handle and less likey to cut you. 4) If you have alot of line out and are setting the hooks Mono is WAY WAY tooooo S L O W !! due to all the ......
    S T R E T C H.......!!!!! 5) If windy it cuts through the wind better than THICK mono also.

PLZ use a good abrasion resistant mono leader.

:sure:

There is NO going back for me!!!

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mono / Salt water ande

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree 100% I use suffix 65 lb. braided line and it has a polymer coating on it which gives the feel of mono but has the responsiveness of braided....

And I also use a 50 lb. mono leader

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mono for me either Cajun Red Advantage are Silver Thread

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Berkley Big Game Mono.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've been using cajun red mono in 20lb. It may break at 20lbs, but its never given me a reason to change to braid.

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Your posts kill me Jim. You always hit it right on the head. Very true.Well said.

Does show we could sure use some standards least for "Strength" and "abrasion resistance" so to avoid confusion.

11. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    mono all the way for me.berkley big game 25-30 pound

12. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Craig,
    My experience today is totally depends what and where I am fishing as different lines work better than others depending what I am targetting and where (blues or flatheads river or lake).

I tested many braids last season and this season:
    P-Pro, Mason, Gorilla, Magibraid, Dakron.....

Best experience by far is "Western fillament-TUF line XP" 100lb super braid. Line is round (not flat like PPro) and packs well in PENN 209 spool, casts great, ties well,3% stretch, Very tough and abrasion resistant, right size and is priced about 12.00 a spool.

Had to mail order as no local stocks 100lb and 80 is too small diameter for me. First braided felt comfotable enough with to order larger spool of.

Wanted to try Stren, but no local stock of anything over 50lb. Very happy with the Tuf line so done searching.