Braided lines

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by FlatGetter, Feb 19, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish braid, I dont love the hassel with Mono. Mono has to much memory. I fish primarely with spiderwire, but I have tried PowerPro. I think spiderwire is stronger and less memory than PowerPro. But one thing I think PowerPro gots on Spiderwire is the thick Teflon coat, it does'nt fray near easy as spiderwire. Which frays get you into trouble. I heard of Stren Super braid, Cortland, and Mason all being good line. Any suggestions?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, my grandson, Bigboy, uses some of the Stren super, and he likes it. I have used some including spiderwire, but since I started using powepro, I've been very satisfied with it. I almost always use a mono shock leader of various lengths, though, because if you set the hook too hard with braid, sometimes you'll tear the hook right out of their mouth. I think that was the hardest thing for me to learn with braided line, since there's no stretch. I love the sensitivity, too.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Flat I love PowerPro and that is all I use. I highly recommend it, but it sounds like you dont care for it too much. I have heard that the Cortland is also some pretty good stuff but have never actually tried it myself. Let me know if you try it out!

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent used braid long but so far I like it. I have 80?lb powerpro on a abu 6500 for big cats, not that Ive caught any. I put 40lb stren braid on some spinning reels and it seems great. So far so good on all of em.

5. lunkerman

lunkerman New Member

State:
    St. Peters
    I fish braid for bass, but for cats I like Trilene big game mono with a titanium leader. :know-big:

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use spiderwire also, I have tried a couple of the other braids, but spiderwire is what I can get worth the money. Fraying is a problem, but if you look at your line you'll be able to keep ahead of it. I also use a 18" leader and this helps a lot also.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    You guys that have used braided lines for a while..I was told you need to reel your line..what I mean is unspool the line and spool it back on so the part of the braided line that had been in the water most of the year is at the bottom of the spool.. Does anyone do that? I have powerpro on 5 of my reels and they all look like they have lost their coatings? Looks like the old braided line we used to buy when I was a kid.. I caught some 60 pound spider wire on sale at Wally world for 7 bucks so I thought I would replace the most worn power pro but really, it all looks the same!

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have used spiderline for a few years now and real like it. I also use a long leader so it takes the majority of the abrasion. I have never turned the line around, taking it ofand espooling it backwards. Doesn't make much sense to me. I have a newerbaitcasting setup that I use mono on, berkley 20lb big game, good stuff.

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I have done the "re-spooling thing" before with the Power Pro. However my reason for doing it was because I was taking the Power Pro off of one reel and putting it on another. It was much easier to just attach the "more used" end to the new reel and just reel it on. So that essentially switched ends. Let's face it, the one end sees much more water than the other. That is unless you get spooled, LOL. So switching it around gives the brunt of the work to the new side of the line.

After a while the "color coating" comes off of the Power Pro. But I haven't noticed any consequences with performance. Every once in a while I'll cut a foot off above my swivel and retie when it looks a little frayed. But it is always that section where my sinker slides the most. The rest of the line looks fine.

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Dave, I agree with Turtle. I take the line off one reel and put in on another reel. The line on the bottom is like brand new, you can easily get 2 seasons on the same line.BTW, I also use power pro and I love it but, I use a mono leader 12-18" long...

11. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    No reason to get in a hurry changing power pro. I have it on four reels that have had it on for 4 years. Still just as strong as when it was new. If you want to switch it around you can but I dont feel that it needs it. It has faded the color out alittle but it hasnt changed the stength.

I have some of the cortland spectra braid. It is a good line. It seems to fuzz up more than the power pro. It doesnt have the coating on it like power pro. It has seemed to hold up well for me.

12. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks guys, I really did not understand the reason for it..thanks for the imput.

13. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I use spiderwire on all my reels..The stealth has a coating on it and does a little better at not fuzzing than the regular braid. It also doesn't pull down in the spool like the braid will. And the best part about it, it is cheaper than any of the other braids.