Braided Lines Or No Way To Braided Lines!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jul 28, 2006.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I bought some of this braided line yesterday. Now i must say that im not a big fan of this stuff due to the increadible amount of the stuff ive snagged while fishing various places. Its like this stuff dosent biodegrade for a long time, if ever! I fish a local spot wher the bottom is full of rocks and gravel along with who knws what else. I got a bit tired of replacing my line every 3rd or 4th fishing trip due to the abrasive wear from the bottom of the dam. My guess is most folks use the braided lines thinking they can land moby dick, but dont realize theyll most likely have to cut the stuff once snagged. So i decided to try out the 30# test braided spiderwire with a 17# mono leader. It seems to be working good, the only thing i lose is the mono leader and my hook with the elimination of abrasive wear from the rocky bottom. My barrel swivel and egg sinker remain intact and cant argue the knot strenght one bit! Dose anybody have any yays or nays theyed like to share?

2. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thats what I do. It works great for me. I mostly fish rivers with tons of snags so when I get caught i just break the mono leader off with the hook. works great.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have never used it, so I can not speak to its performance.

The price is a big negative for me, especially considering I can land about any catfish in the water on 20 pound mono. I can not see spending more money for something I don't need. I have heard it is a nightmare when you get a backlash. It is know for no stretch, and that kinda bothers me. I would rather have some stretch and forgiveness if I get into a bind.

Visibility is abig concern for me, especially when trolling or drifting with multiple lines. I like a bright yellow mono for this reason. If there are some high visibility braids out there, I have not seen them.

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I my self just started using 50 lb gorilla and a 30 pound spider wire stealth i now i can break that 30 pound or the swivel and if you look back at my past posts you will find that this is a 360 for me not to say that i wont get my micro lite 4' with 4-6 lb and take some channels on every now and than because i will!! There is nothing like catching a big cat by that i mean 15lb channel on 6lb 5'6" rod is a fair fight

5. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA
    I bought power pro for 2 rods but took it off when fishing around rocks I got many snags and the braid compared to mono was much less abrasive.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I love the stuff.
    I fish around logjams and brushpiles all the time, so the ability to drag a 20# flat through the trees is important to me.
    I went to braid because 40, 50, & 60 pound mono have coil memory that is a nightmare! Talk about backlashes, mono that heavy backlashes before you even cast!
    The downside of braid is that it is not as corrosion resistant as mono, and the snagging problem mentioned earlier.
    My solution, is to tie about 8' of heavy mono to the end of the braid with an Albright Knot. Then I tie on the swivel, leader, & hook.
    This way, the braid never gets near the snags, the mono never gets coiled on the reel, and the leader breaks off before anything else (the mono should be a lower pound test than the braid, obviously).
    I've been using this set up for a couple years now and I couldn't be happier.
    Its Cost Effective, too- because the braid lasts 4 or 5 years, and a spool of mono lasts a long time when you use it up only 8' at a time.
    Give it a try.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've used braided in the past bass fishing.
    I would rather use a quality mono any day.
    I fish rivers with rocks and snags also. My reels are spooled up with 20 and 25 pound mono. I dont have a problem with knots breaking or slipping or abrasion. Spool memory isnt a big deal as I change my line frequently. I can afford to change it frequently because my premium mono isnt an overpriced tackle gimmick.
    I have yet to have a problem getting large fish to the boat or bank but I find it very difficult to break off a premium 25 pound mono when hung up.

8. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I think braided is very good. I use it on all my rigs with about a 75% leader. It saves me a lot of rigging time.

Here's a tool that Rat taught me to make a while back to preserve your rod and hands.

The wood is about a 6" piece of closet dowel.

Attached Files:

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ditto Mark...I just don't see the reason. I use 20 # mono, you can land any fish in the river with a good reel and rod....ocean fishing,I have landed fish that would go 3 to 6 hundred pounds with 80# to 130# test mono.

10. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i just switched back to braided, using 50# spiderwire and couldn't be happier... but there are also a few mono's that i like too... i'd say, give it a try, if you don't like it than go back to mono... lol... but there have been some good suggestions about using the mono as a leader... that would work great... i normally use those ocean rigs, so i have a steel leader, and if i get snaged on something i have to hope that either the hook bends or breaks or that the line snaps there at the knot... lol... the only reason that i love the braided so much, is because i leave all my fishin stuff in the car so that if someone wants to go after work or whatever, i'm already ready to go... lol... that and it saves me alot of time, but the mono that i had on started breaking down in the heat inside the car... with the braided i don't have that problem... but braided doesn't break down in the water over time like the mono does either... so i would go with a mono leader if you fish snags all the time.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Kenneth, we're going to have to get you to tying leaders. Those ocean rigs are expensive to be river and lake fishing with.

If I were using an ocean rig for catfishing it would have to be the mono tied blue rigs.

12. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I love the braid. I use 50 lb test and it works well in all my fishing situations. However, it does cast better after it gets wet. I use Stren Super Braid and I use a 20 lb. Vanish Florucarbon leader tied with a double uni knot.

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use heavy braid on all my reels, I've lost too many big fish in brush piles or log jams with that 20 or 25 lb mono in the ohio river. That stuff works fine in open water not too well around a lot of snags. I don't use leaders either, if the hook won't streighten out or break off then whatever I'm hooked to will come up because if I can't get it loose by wrapping the line around a stick or net handle, I wrap it to a cleat on my boat an pull. I once pulled a complete crosstie out of a log jam that I was snagged on, try that with some of that 20 lb stuff. I also notice that most of the men that catch those big river cats hardly ever post on these line debate threads about what they use. Don't want to step on any toes here. I guess I get tired of reading about what all can be done with light line when someone is trying to get some good advice about types of line to use.

14. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I use braid on my bass/pike rigs. I prefer Big Game mono in 20-40 lb for my catfishing. A like a bit of stretch for fishing with circle hooks. I have no more trouble with backlashes with mono than with braid.

15. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i just use the cheap ones from walmart.. they are like 78 cents a peice... the only disadvantage with them is that you have to either get some heavy duty snaps to put on them, or bend the eyes of your hooks to get the hooks on them... i just bend the eyes of the hooks, slap them on, and bend the eye back... hasn't seemed to hurt at all... before going to the ocean rigs i was putting a ball sinker on the line, then a swivel, about 2 feet of braided, then the hook... the swivel kept the sinker off of the hook, and the swivels i was using would let out if you pulled hard enough... i mean really pull... but the line would never break... the only time that i have had the line break on me was this past thursday when i was at the ocean attempting to pull in a bull shark... he looked to be about 7 feet long when he was circling around the top of the water, then he took my bait, and 10 seconds later he was gone... lol... it was great though.