Braided lines and spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Sentry Dog Man, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Most posts I have read concerning braided lines seem to be in relationship to baitcasting reels or no reel is mentioned at all. But, of course, I may have overlooked something. Although, I recall one poster saying that all they used was braid on their spinning reels.

I have no knowledge about the new braided lines, other than they are smaller in diameter than mono and have less stretch and possibly low memory.

Anyway, I would like to hear from spinning reel users only, who are using braided lines. Since, I am in the process of spooling up two new spinning reels and am thinking about using braided lines.

So, spinning reel users, what are your suggestions, comments, pro and cons on braided lines for spinning reels???? I will be putting the line on two Shimano 3500B baitrunner reels. And, thought that since it is the smallest of the baitrunners (available to us, in the US) that I would like to try some braided line in, maybe, the 30 lb test range. The line capacity of the 3500B (if I recall correctly) is 185 yds of either 14 or 15 lb test line.

Your suggestions, comments, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I never had any luck with braids as a main line, for one it would be way too expensive for me since I have 5 of the bigger baitrunners. Plus if you use braid it is a pain in the butt to break off if you get a snag, most people end up cutting in and wasting a lot of money. One thing that happened to me on more than one occasion is the line would just spin around the spool when you tried to reel in, I guess you have to keep it super tight so it doesnt slip. These are the reasons I just use 80# gorilla braid for leaders only. I use 30# berkley big game for a main line.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I'm a spinning reel man,and have tried 3 types of braid this year.
    I usually have about 50 yards of mono,then tie on the braid.After spooling up,I'll put on a heavy weight and make some loooong casts and reel in under tension.Slippage or digging in hasn't been a problem for me.

I had a cheap rod/reel that the spider wire cut grooves in the tip guide and bail roller,but no problems with the power pro or the other braid(CRS)

4. Bank Catter

Bank Catter New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I currently use:

a) 30# Power Pro on a spinning reel (a Shimano knock-off) that will hold 170 yds of 20# mono with a 7' MH rod. 30 or 50# mono leader 1-3'

b) 30# Fireline on a large Daiwa Emcast spinning reel that will hold 330 yards of 20# mono with a 9' MH rod. 30 or 50# mono leader 1-3'

I fish from the bank during the day, so distance is often a priority for me. I like Setup "a)" a lot more than setup "b)". For my needs the Power Pro works better because it casts easier and farther due to the smaller diameter and smoothness. The Fireline floats more which is a disadvantage when bottom fishing, but not as much when using a bobber. Fireline is also much louder. I haven't caught any really big fish on either setup, so I can't speak to fish fighting performance, but I feel confident in bringing in anything in my local lakes with either setup.

I recently purchased a new Okuma Corrida (one of their low-end bait feeders) and will be putting Power Pro on it. As my budget permits I'll also put Power Pro on my smaller spinner I use for panfish.

For my fishing (and skill level) I prefer Power Pro on my spinning reels over Fireline and mono.

My $0.02.

Bank Catter

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I used to be strictly a mono user. And I am also a spinning reel user. I do use baitcasters now sometimes, but mostly my reel of choice is spinning. I bought a roll of 65# powerpro nearly 3 years ago for one of my spinning reels. I'm still using that same line and it shows no sign of weakening yet. I would have changed mono at least twice since then and maybe 3 times. A 150 yard roll costs 11 bucks at Wally World. So to me the cost is less in that regard. I will probably never switch back. No twist at all and no memory at all. You do gotta be careful with it though. It's razor sharp if you don't handle it right. I now have powerpro on nearly all of my spinning reels. Very good line in my opinion.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Let me repeat one important tip when using braid.You must put either some black electrical tape or mono backing on the spool first.That gives the braid something to bite into and prevents the spinning line problem.Braid retains its flex in the coldest weather unlike mono,doesnt absorb water and picks up instanly if you are fishing with floats.Not thats its perfect in all situations but the cost over time is very effective even if it is exspensive to start out.

7. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i use braids on all my spinning i've tried power pro , spider wireamd gorilla braid. they are great except when i fish heavy current, they have a tendicy to seperate, power pro does best in current but still has some, its brobably because i'm not a good knot tier but i have trouble with the braids cutting the mono shock line, gorilla handles that the best. boliver

8. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Anybody ever here of Mason tiger braid?
    I have been using it for about 3 years. The only problem is breaking it off in a snag situation, you will usually have to cut it off it is that tough.
    IT IS EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO OTHER LINES. It is worth it in IMO.
    It cast nice on baitcast or spinning.
    I will bet most of you have not heard of it as they don't advertise it much.
    Questions?

9. slqfan

slqfan New Member

State:
    Stockdale, TX
    I use 30# power pro on my larger spinning reels, and 10# fireline on my ultralight spinning reel. I really like the braids when I am fishing with a bobber in current, because it floats. I have never had a problem with line slippage, and hope that I never do. The only problem i have with the braids is with the fireline, because the braids seem to separate after a few trips.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mason is an old line manufacturing company and I know them because we used to use their excellent soft leader material in trout fishing.One way to solve the break it off problem when snagged is to use a leader of less strength than the main line.That way you can break it off at the swivel etc.Try the UNI knot for joining lines together.I have used it braid to mono and never had a problem.I would switch to all Power Pro and give up on Fireline.IMO