Braided line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Little Luey, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Does anyone uses braided line for catfishing? what test/lbs?

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try doing a search for braided line, you could find out more than you imagined about it.:wink:

3. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I used to use braided line but have gone back to mono. I found that braided line tangles to easily, and dry rots alot quicker that mono. I know that if you are using braided line you are doing for one real reason. You can get more on a real with big test line but if you think about it when was the last time you had any fish pull out 200 yards of line from your reel?

4. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My reason for change was more for the strenght and it seems to me, after one use in bass fishing, that it casts very easily, it goes underwater easier and it doesn't have any memory, meaning I can have a tight line sooner compared to having to wait until the bait gets to the bottom and the coils on the mono go away.

5. tncater19

tncater19 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i personly like braided line i think its alot smooyher than mono

6. tncater19

tncater19 New Member

State:
    tennessee
  7. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I think it is personal preference. I used to use it but I have found for the fishing that I am doing I perfer mono. I think braided line definitely has its advantages but so does mono. I would venture to say depending on what you are trying to accomplish other than catching fish is the determining factor of what you use.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use 80lb power-pro for its dia. I like the braid but I use mono leaders because the mono is more abrasive resistent and I only have to change out the braid every two or three years although I have some braid that I still use thats been on the reel for quite a few years where with mono you have to change that at least once or maybe twice a year because of the memory and stretch.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    In addition to these folks I would suggest PP braid #50 test or higher. The lighter wasn't as good for catfishing IMO.

-Jim-

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The smaller dia. lines like the #50 and the #65 really cast well but are hard for me to work with so I started using the #80 which I think is about the same dia. as #17 mono.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use braid pp line in 65lbs or 80lbs with j style hooks and Kale style hooks and i like to use mono with circle hooks....

12. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree. I have changed all my cat reels to 80# power pro. I really like it and I use 100# mono leaders and they dont "kink" up in HEAVY current near as bad as the 50# mono leaders did! Remember, I am using at least 6 oz of wieght (minimum) usually 8-10oz and chunks of bait that wiegh at least 5-8oz's in current about 4-6mph! Makes a BIG difference in your set-up!:wink:

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    100# power pro ,the only way to go for me! same size as 20# mono ,super strong ,super tough :wink:

14. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    where do you fish man?

15. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I have used spider wire in past and have caught a few large fish on it. It has a coating that wears off quickly and loses its strength rapidly the 12lb dia 60 lb test is what i use at night or in moving water. It doesnt take abrasion too well but im pretty hard on line. Im probably gonna try a new braid this spring.

16. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    if i'm fishin in the river i usually use 50lb braided catfish line but at the lake i use 30lb mono. cause i don't like using it with a bobber but dead line i would use it for sure. As far as it dry rotting quicker i had mine on all year lastyear with no problem. No breaks or nothin.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have switched all my tournaments rods to 65 lb. power pro and really like it. I still run clear 50 lb. premium salt water ande for hook leaders. This set up has worked well so far on cats up to 41.4 lbs.

18. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    there are alot more people than you think who use braid. I use Power Pro 50# on my channel rods and 65# on my flattie rods.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm gonna have to try the 65 sometime, I was worried it was to stiff but I see lots of yas using it. What stinks is I have to order it to even see it, I'm lucky to fing 50lb here : (

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

You won't regret it, It is really limp and is easy to tie a palomar knot with.