Braided line

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Oct 8, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Has anyone else had any trouble with braided line getting worn and breaking easy? I have 50 lbs. spiderwire spooled on my reel. There has been a couple times while motoring along and having the pole in the rod holder the sinker just falls off. It's like it is rubbing on the line and causing a weak spot. Anyone else have this problem? Is it the spiderwire brand?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    All I use is PowerPro and I haven't had that problem. I had SpiderWire on a reel for 2 years, and it was good the whole time. If that's MP dam in the background and you're fishing all that rip-rap, you may want to cut the last few feet off and re-tie before each trip. I cut the last couple of feet and retie after fishing rocks and every so often whether I've been fishing rocks or not. The last 3-4 feet take most of the abuse and no matter how good the line is, it still abrades and developes weak spots after being beat around the rock, sand, big blue catfish teet, etc :wink:. Good Luck!

Branden

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks. It is MP in the background. But I pretty much lose a couple rigs each time I go out it seems. :roll_eyes: And I've been cutting 5 to 8 feet off each time I do lose one to try and start with fresh line. I was thinking it might be because I wasn't using beads at first. But I bought a pack of beads for the last trip, and I had another sinker just fall off while the rig was in the boat. I also had a fish break my line while out on that trip. I'm just not having to good of luck. Maybe I need to check my eyes on my rod to see if that is wearing it or something. There's got to be an answer somewhere.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I use PowerPro as well. My preference is the 80 Pound Red. If your fishing the dam more often than not, you might even want to consider 100 pound test. All of the new PowerPro Lines are covered in a protective coating that protects the braided materials, so rub spots arnt too much of an issue anymore. You cant beat the braided lines for strength, little to NO line stretch, which equals less lost lead, and more fish in the boat. As for the rubbing issue, are you using a mono shock leader Dan? Most of us around here will rig up with a mono shock leader, which stands up better to the rocks etc. There is two basic setups you can go with. Please excuse me if your already using a shock mono. Sounds to me like you are tieing your sinkers right on your braid though.

1. Basic Carolina rig Thread a roll, or no roll sinker onto your braid. Tie on a two way barrel swivel. Tie on a 14-30 inch piece of monofilament. I use 80 Pound Ande Monofilament for my shock leader, however this is a matter of preference. You can use any good durable mono thats out there, however I'd recommend at the very least 60 pounds considering you are fishing the famous MP Dam. Tie your hook of choice on the end of your mono, and wahlah, you have a an extrememly durable system that will not rub, break off, or worse yet cost you a fish.

2. A 3 Way Rig Tie a three way swivel directly on to your braided line. Off the 90 degree loop on your 3 way swivel, tie your shock mono and hook on. The same mono you would use to tie the Carolina Rig. On the bottom loop of your three way swivel, tie another piece of mono however make sure this strip of mono has less breaking strength than your mono that goes to the hook. I use CHEAP 30 pound test to tie to the bottom eye. At the end of the 30 pound line, tie your bank sinker. This way, when your sinker gets hung up you wont lose your hole rig, just the sinker.

I've been fishing with these two rigs for going on 3 years now and have yet, knock on wood, to lose a rig due to abrasion or yet to lose a hooked fish due to line failure. As with any setup though, good drag management is crucial especially if you hook one of those pigs in the fast current at Mel Price. Give the shock mono a chance. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I attached a link to an article thats in the library. It has a photo of my two way set up, with the addition of an In-Line float and using beads to protect knots. Hope it helps Dan.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54058

Side Note, PowerPro is pretty pricey however in my opinion it is worth it. Since Braided lines have no memory heres what we "cheapos" do. When you have worn your line out pretty good over the course of a year or so, feed your line onto another fishing setup. Reel all of the braid onto the new rig and presto, you have brand new braid on the other rig. Its pretty easy to put 400 yards of braid on a reel, and this allows you to use the bottom part of the spool that has never seen water. Its just as purdy as it is when it comes right out of the box too. :wink:

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Good idea Cuz on the leader, but he's saying that his line is breaking above the sinker (I'm assuming he's using a Carolina type rig since he said it cost him a fish as well). I personally use a variation of the 3-way rig that was shown to me by a fellow BOCer. using 2 regular swivels. But thats not solving your problem.....I'd take a look at the eyes on your rod see if there isn't something snagging your line causing it to fray or get nicks in it. Braided line is bad about breaking if your not careful with it.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great point Mike. If your not using stainless, or ceramic eyelets, braids will eventually wear a groove in the eyelet and will cut the line. You can evidence this by looking at the line on your spool, and you will notice tiny spaghetti like shavings on your spool. I learned that the hard way also. :sad2:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yup, forgot about that. I just replaced the last eyes on 3 rods a month or so ago. I happened to look at them while I was retying and the braid had eaten almost all the way through them. Good call, Mike.

8. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Understand also, that it's not that you "need" 80 or 100 lb test line BUT those slightly thicker braids offer an extra cushion of abrasion resistance as well.

I used 50 lb test braid once... 80 lb is the way to go though. The 50 did not hold up very well (it was spiderwire). I've never had any trouble out of Power Pro, it is a very good line. I do have a rod with 65lb on it. We caught the 71 on that rig back in May. I was wishing the whole time though that we had 80 lb on it, LOL.

I use exclusively the 2 barrel swivel sliding breakaway sinker rig (is that name patented??). I've been using a 2 foot 40 lb test mono leader with it. Although I've been thinking of up-ing that lb test. I had a real nice fish on 3 weeks ago. In fact he was staying down and I couldn't move him. He finally started moving, turned and broke my 40 lb test leader. It wasn't that I had too much pressure on him or anything but rather an issue of abrasion resistance. Since then I've been thinking of going to a 50 or 60 lb leader, with my 80 lb main line.

There's nothing like trial and error but this board is real good for cutting that curve quite a bit!

9. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Using a bead between the weight and the swivle will protect your knot on a Carolina Rig, otherwise every cast, every time you let out line, or bump a rock that weight is beating up that knot, which is already the weakest link from the rod to the fish. In no time your 50lb test is down to 10 lb, try to cast at 3-10 oz sinker w/ 10 lb line, it'll break more times than not.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I used to use SpiderWire but have since "upgraded" to PowerPro as well. I like the 80 pound Hi-Vis Yellow, I do alot of night fishing and it's easier to see all the lines,

I experienced the same problem that you're experiencing with the spiderwire, that's why I switched. I can honestly say that I'm happy I did, PowerPro is the best I've used!

Give it a shot!

11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'm using the rig in the picture. I've had the 50 lbs. braided spiderwire main line, with a 50 lbs. mono leader. I think I'll get some 80 lbs. power pro, and stick with the same leader for now. I've yet to try the 3way rig.
    I like the idea of spooling the line directly onto another fishing pole to use the line again. :big_smile:
    Now I need to find me a source for lead to replace all the sinkers I've lost so far. I haven't tried the tire shops around here yet.

Attached Files:

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
  13. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Could be the egg sinker abrading your line too, some are none too smooth on the ends...there is always the sinker slide you could try...and the advantage of changing weight without having to retie...here's a pic in case you haven't seen them...

Attached Files:

14. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I forgot to mention... I don't actually use 2 barrel swivels. I use one barrel swivel and one snap swivel. I put the "barrel" end of the snap swivel through the main line, then I'm able to change my weights easily. I do have all my weights pre-tied with a double line of 20 lb test. So I'm able to just unsnap and loop the line over the snap, clip it back and I'm ready to go!

The fishfinder's don't work well with braided line. Or at least the ones I tried didn't. They might make some "braid proof" now, I don't really know. The braid wore a grove in the plastic very rapidly which then caused the fishfinder to not slide. Regardless though, if my sinker gets hung up while using one, the fishfinder breaks before my line and then it's a hassle changing it all out.

Anyway, that's just my experience and is the reason I use what I do.