Braided line

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by stinkbaitguy, Oct 3, 2007.

1. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I just bought myself a new reel (round baitcaster)that is rated for 35lb test line,is it true that if i spool it with braided line i can use stronger line?

2. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Scott I use spiderwire on a few of my rod/reel combos. I use 50lb. 'cause it has a diameter of 10lb. line. If you decide to use braid be sure to first put some mono on the reel first, it will keep the braid from slipping on the spool. I never use braid for a leader, just mono. You will be hard pressed to break 50lb. braid, I have been hung up before and while trying to get unhung pulled one of my anchors up and lost position.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well this is what I do. If I used say 20# mono and switch to 20# braid, the reason I dont go heavier is that 20# braid seems to be stronger than the same in mono, plus I get a lot more yardage so I can decrease the drag. Second I put a wrap of electrical tape on the spool before I spool with braid. But heres the trick..... wrap once sticky side down. Now wrap your braided line on there about twice. Then cut off a 1" piece of tape and put over the line and continue to fill the spool. It aint going nowhere.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    50,60, or 80lb braided line should suit that reel just fine. Make sure your rod is a good Medium Heavy to Heavy rod though. Wouldn't want to snap your rod into pieces. :eek:oooh:

5. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea phillycat thats what the guy at bass pro said,he just didnt act like he knew what he was talking about

6. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Catrod I was just telling a friend Iam glad I didn't spool up with braid for the fall flatheads. The places I've been fishing have been wreaking havoc on on mono. Braid wouldn't last at all, period. If you're fishing the Yadkin chain lakes remember that it's mostly rock enviroment.

7. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    you can go with 65 or even 80 pound stren superbraid

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Don't waste your time and money on braided line for catfish. 20 pound mono, a properly set drag, and a good 40-60 mono leader will land any catfish in any lake.

Nuff said....:wink:

9. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thats exactly what im riged with now wylie,I guess we are just old school!:big_smile:

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well my opinion is that your mono is cheaper but you will without a doubt be changing out your dried up mono a lot more, so in the end which one will you really pay more for ? Braid line doesn't cost as much as it use to. I'm willing to pay $13 for well over a years fishing. In fact I've got some that's 2yrs old and just now changed it. The only reason I did that is because I cut a few feet off after I catch a fish and also after every trip. After 2 years of that there isn't much braid left in a 150yrd spool. On a bait caster mono isn't as bad but on my spinning gear, forget that. I haven't seen a birds nest in a long time. The only memory I get is the bad ones from using mono. I've used all the braids and nothing is like PowerPro !! I can take the #30 braid catfishing and see a school of bass come in, cut my shock leader off and throw a splitshot, hook and live crawler out there a good 75 feet ( atleast ) with no problem. And with the super light weight I can still tight line without watching little circles of line all the way to the water. After over 20yrs of fishing mono I' done, never again : ) Oh, just a little tip for yas while I'm here.....If you ever need to sow a button onto your clothes...use PowerPro, it wont ever pop off again, lol. But all and all each to his own. I just wanted to share some other benefits of using the braid, its your choice from here. Good luck guys and gals this weekend, have a fun and safe weekend ; )

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Here are my reasons not to use braided line:

1) Visibility. It is harder to see and I don't like that for drifting or trolling.

2) No Stretch. Stretch is one of those things that saves your tail in a "short rope" fight. It is a "forgiveness factor".

3) Abrasion. I drift and troll a lot and my line is in contact with a lot of stuff, and those little knicks bother me on braid.

4) Backlash. A backlash with the thinner lines is a pain.

Use it all you want flipping mats for largemouth, or for fishing where the strike is very subtle. I will take my mono for the trophy cats, because I KNOW when they hit. :wink:

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    LOL, I knew you were lurking close by. I'm not trying to aggravated you brother, just trying to put in the pro/cons. But....stretch ? I don't need it, I have a drag and you aint gonna snap my braid. Thinner line ? use the heavier line to match the mono diameter. My reel rates #12 test so I have #50. Feeling hits ? I feel everything because of the no stretch. Abrasion, well ya got me there but like you we use a shock leaders also so that one we cant count either. I don't troll so I cant say how hard that is to see but there is high vis stuff for the night fishing. Bass might see it might not.....80% of the time Bass are color blind anyway so all them colored lures people use don't really work most of the time, they only see shades. The market sure isn't gonna tell ya that one. All in all we have two good sides to this. I really, really respect your input WylieCat and hope you're not insulted by my opinion.

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...I really, really respect your input WylieCat and hope you're not insulted by my opinion...."

Heck no man, it don't bother me!! Some good healthy debate helps everyone learn!!

You made one argument for me though; "...I don't need it, I have a drag and you aint gonna snap my braid...", if you have the drag set right then you don't need 50 and 80 pound line!! :wink: Catfish, while a good fighting fish, just don't require the heavier line to be able to land them quickly.

One thing I forgot to add; when drifting, trolling, or anchored and you get snagged, it is a lot easier to break off 20 pound line than 50 or 80 pound line. It is also a lot less stress on the gears and frame of your reel.

14. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    My best reason for the 50lb test is because my reel is to small to run 20lb mono. I'm rated for #12mono and can fit 140 yards. For the best results in my situation using the #50 still gives me the 140 yards of line at a #12 diameter, I would rather get the most bang for my buck. Its not a need but a extra benefit that I take advantage of. I can run a shock leader at #50 or higher test to solve my problem if I'm snagged. If I'm worried about saving gear I can go smaller mono after my swivel on my Carolina rig ( just replace my hook and have the sinker still ) .
    Oh and I wrap a little wooded stick around the braid and it snaps the mono when its done stretching. With the no stretch braid I don't have to pull back as far to snap the mono leader. I will admit to my downside......I need a bigger reel and I'm over working my drag but I'm in no position to buy a reel yet. Ok, I will shut up now, LOL , I've enjoyed our debate and think we did a good job ; )

15. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do what wylie cat said dont waste your money on this braid most of these people on here will have u in a mess before u know it 50lbs 80lbs braid:eek:oooh: first of all can your reel even take the abuse of that line if u do land into a big one? probley not youll be replaceing a you reel more then likey

16. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I agree with you wylie,the pros for mono out weigh the pros for braided,and jimmy dont you think you need to get a bigger reel brother!sounds kinda like your putting a 250hp motor on a jon boat!LOL:roll_eyes:

17. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea catbob my reel would prob. handle that yarn i mean braid lol,but wylie hit it on the head its all about drag brother!:cool2:

18. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Scott,, yea I know I need a bigger reel. This is what I happen to have atm and its better than not fishing. I Tried my friends cat fish rig and it felt so..giant, LOL. It will take me awhile to get use to it when ever I finally get a better set up. I've been using this old rod and real for about 8yrs now and its earned its keep many times over. I don't get to see any #50 cats but If I do I'm gonna give it a fight. My last #20 cat didn't stand a chance so I'm confident I can land a #30 if the opportunity arises. If he blows my reel up I have 2 more just like it, LOL. Maybe at tax time I can get one but for now this will get me past this cat season and back to some trout fishing, lol. Oh and Scott what's up with not telling us what kind of reel you picked up ?.....how dare you, LOL. As far as the line goes do what you feel confident with, that's all that matters. I'm watching all the info on rod/reels so let me know how you like your new reel. Good luck with it : )

19. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Jimmy,my reel is a penn.I got it at bass pro,(60.00)ya know its alright but ive also got a baitcaster that i picked up at wal-mart (shakespear3500)that is just as good!all my rods are catmaxx 6.6 but let me tell ya i dont eat lunch every day that way on friday my wife dont get wise to me spending money on my fishing stuff!LOL My thing is i call her up and say hay honey ya mind if i swing by bass pro and i want spend no more than about 30.00,and what she dont know is that i got the 50.00 from not eating lunch all week!!:wink:

20. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hell jimmy im trying to get in one more night trip before it to cold wanna go?