braided line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Nov 2, 2005.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering do braided line, hold up well in fishing snags and stuff. and also do it hold better in the current, because of the small diameter?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I happen to use PowerPro, and have used spiderwire, too. I like the properties of braided as mentioned above, but I don't think it is any more abrasion resistant than mono, maybe not even quite as good as some of the monofilaments. If I were using a mono with the same diameter as the braided, I suspect there might not be a huge difference. I keep an eye on my line though, and usually pick up on areas of abrasion before they become a problem, and retie.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    CJ, the braid will not be as resistant as mono of the same break strength. They will be smaller in diameter! That being said, to compensate you use a Heavier Leader for the area most effected by the obsticles. This may be braid also, but most people use mono. I for one use a Heavier braid that will give me the protection against the muschels and edges that are abundant around here. I have lost fish before I started this and it HURT! I now use 50lb. PowerPro as my main line and 100lb. PowerPro as my leader of about 10ft. and have not had the problem lately. You will definitely notice the feel of the fish with braid and for lure fishing you will improve your catch rate. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Many discussions on here about braid.In the latest edition of Florida Sportsman Magazine is an article on some tests they did on the Braids.Unfortunately they didn't test knot strength or abrasion resistance.One fact that did come out that I didn't know was that the Dyneema lines like Fireline are "Softer"than the Spectra lines which reduces their abrasion resistance.In the same magazine is an ad for Cortland Line Co who are coming out with new Braids.Cortland is an old line company and is very famous for flylines etc.They are making a braid that is a little Stiffer for spinning reels and a version specifically for bait casters.I thought that very interesting that they would produce lines for each type of reel.Florida Sportsman is in my opinion the absolute best outdoor magazine of them all and the Florida guys are lucky to have such a high quality magazine devoted to them.I buy it every month at Books A Million.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Why would you want a stiffer line for a spinning reel? I've got 20# Remington Core-Lockd on the spinning rod I use for skipjack, and it's limpness and lack of memory are two of the things I like best about it. It's the same diameter as 6# mono, casts as far as 6# mono, but won't snarl up as much as 6# mono. And let's don't even talk about casting with 20# mono, please--this is a family site.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jerry I think the theory is that if it is a "Little" stiffer it comes off the spool better and resists windknotting better.Spinning has a tendency to pull those loose coils of line all at once if you don't maintain good tension when reeling in.Again this is what I think but intend to research the Cortland thing further and will post what I find out.I think it is good that a line company is tailoring the lines for specific applications.It means they are listening to fishermen and doing their research

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Stiffer line helps a lot on a spinning reel. Who likes getting loops in there line on a windy day. Or not even that have you ever not flipped the bail over and have line just start coming off the spool? Maybe also being a little stiffer it wont dig in to the next layer as bad. Personaly I like stiffer lines then the next greatest limp line.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well I use 50lb, and 30 lb spider line. To me it does'nt seem to have any better abrasion resistance then mono. Where I fish I have lost alot of terminal tackle due to alot of snags, sharp rocks, etc, where I mostly fish at. Both on mono and braid. When I switched to braid I lost less but would still loose alot of weights. That is when I switched my leader line to the hook and weight over to 200lb trotline. A little different but hey it works for me, and it puts up with abrasion far better. I still get snagged up but loose far less, just last saturday got into a big snag and pulled gradualy not just a big jerk, and pulled up a pretty sizable branch. And I have partialy straightened a few hooks. Good fishing to all. :cool:

9. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i like braided line it has very little stretch,but use mono leader to be able to break off snags

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    :cool: I think a little differently when it comes to using a smaller leader line than the main. Maybe it is because I fish in an area with alot of snags and high abrasion. But I would rather have to wrap my main line around something and pull like crazy and straighten out a hook some than loose my weight or hook or both. That is why I use such a heavy leader line with my braided 50lb test line. Like I said I loose less tackle now with the heavy leader cause even with the 50lb test braid as a leader it was suffering some major abrasion damage the leader line now that I use shows very little if any wear.