Braided line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by FlatGetter, Dec 7, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had been fishing with 60,65, and 80 lb powerpro and spiderwire. I had a fish break 80lb stealth last year, and 65lb powerpro. I think alot of times the line gets frayed and i dont notice. I check for frayes before every outing. Id rather play it safe. Soo Im thinking on going with 150lb. powerpro this year. Am I making the right decision?

2. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    to be honest and my opinion, braided lines and super lines are awesome in open water. but around structure i would trade off diameter of line for break strength.

also... in a tug of war with the almighty catfish... something has to give, ie: the line, the pole, the reel, or the person. personally, out of those, id rather have the line go first and call it a loss.

suey

3. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will agree with Suey on this. The braided lines are great but they do have their own issues. Knots are a big issue too as are frays. I dont think you could break 80lb line with a fish on a rod and reel by just pulling as you would to land a fish. Something happend. I land tons of fish on 30lb big game. That what I think anyway. You should straighten out a hook before you get that far anyway.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have been using 80lb powerpro for about 4 years. Catch fish all the time.. Have NEVER had powerpro to break even with frays. If you tie the correct knot it will NEVER break as well. THe uni knot is the best knot. It shows you how to tie the knot in the powerpro instruction booklet you get with each roll of line.

5. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I use powerpro in 150lbs and it works well. I used to use dyneema kite-string in a slightly heavier weight as it was a bit cheaper, but I prefer the powerpro. I use the heavy stuff for additional protection against structure. Mono resists abrasion better but the braid gives a lot better hook-sets and a more direct contact with the fish. Plus, if you're fishing near a sunk tree or something and need to hit and hold, the stretch in mono can allow the fish to get snagged up and then you have a problem. One time I stupidly cast my rig into an area with sunken trees and got snagged immediately. I wrapped the braid around the anchor cleat and stuck the engine on tickover. Got my rig back along with a chunk of tree nearly as long as my boat!

But braid, in any weight, doesn't last long against rocks and boulders with rough edges. I sometimes fish a river that looks more suitable for salmon than catfish (although they are in there, believe me). That place is littered with big rocks and I use mono there, regardless of the stretch.

:smile2:

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like to stick with mono no matter what. Maybe combat fishing in washington brought this prejudice on me, but i believe that if i cant land them on 30lb mono, they were not meant to be landed

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    MIght as well be fishing for whales... I use 30 llb Ande! :roll_eyes: However I do like braided lines, better hook setting power. I do like the way mono feels when you are fighting the fish.

8. musky76

musky76 New Member

State:
    il
    I have been using power pro 80#for four years also and fish rivers.Ive never had a break and ive caught 40 plus pounders anyone got any tips on ice fishing on rivers for cats

9. Buckmybass4

Buckmybass4 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the Spiderwire Stealth but i went back to MONO.

Just more FUN

10. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    personaly i prefer mono but i do use super lines as a leader....i normally use just a couple of pounds over what my main line is...it helps to get a good hook set without to much problems

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Dude, I would never use braid for a leader?????????Unless I like getting hungup and pulling the boat off anchor.LOL

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i use mono 30# biggame clear , and have caught several nice fish this year including a 65# blue and 50# + flathead i believe its not the line so much as the drag and the ability to wear the fish down enough to give up . some like to winch them in but id rather finess them in

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I used the braided lines for sometime 65 was what I used most. last spring I was given some cujan red #50 lb mono. I would say this is the best line I have ever used easy to tie knots and i have broken 7/0 hooks before the line. I haven't had one fish break the line so far I do use 50 main line and tie 80 mono leader line. maybe something to try who knows you may fine something that you like.

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Personally when using cut bait, I prefer heavy braid as a leader because it is softer... From my experience with big cats, they pick the bait up slowly and gingerly. That said I choose a soft braid to prevent them from feeling the line in their mouths when starting their slow run.

Live baits I use a heavy mono like a 50# Vanish. This seems to keep the gill or carp from tangling the leader.
    ~A

15. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    I use 60 lb. Spiderwire with a 50 lb. clear mono leader. Works for me & lasts a long time.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I just use 20 lb mono, I agree with ka. I dont see a need for me to use braided line.

17. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are a few things to remember when using braides lines. First, mono or flouro will almost always have a higher breaking point than an identically lb. rated braided line. Second, braided lines are much more susceptible to abrasion and cuts when it is under heavy tension (ie. fighting a large fish) than they are under "normal" conditions. Third, it is VERY important to tie the recommended knots in the correct way when using braided line. I just can't stress this enough, and it goes for those using mono as well. 9 out of 10 fisherman I run into still haven't mastered the basic clinch knot. Lastly, always use a mono or flouro leader when targeting big fish on "light" braided line. By light I mean anything under 80lbs. (I still use a heavy mono leader on 80lb. and it saves me alot of re-tying). Yes, plenty of guys have absolutely no trouble with 50 or 65lb. braid, but they are flirting with the inevitable. Braided line WILL fray. The thinner the diameter the more of an issue it will be. The large contact area of a big fish's mouth will expedite this fraying process. Sooner or later you will suffer a breakage and most likely it will be at the worst possible time.

18. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I use 50# Berkley Fireline with out any problems with the line fraying. Fish some real nasty snags with it too.

19. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nothing but Berkley Big Game here....absolutely the best line for MY needs.