Braided line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by AzHeadHunter, Sep 21, 2009.

1. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Crew,

I've been hearing alot of you guys mention the use of braided lines. I myself have never used braided line so I wanted to ask you guys what are it's advantages? What brand do you use? Where do you get your reel spooled? How do you rig up for braided line?

Thanks, your advice and time is greatly appreciated.

2. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Braided Line has no stretch, no memory, and offers a ton of casting distance. You can also spool so much more up on a reel due to it's smaller diameter. 80 lb braid is about the same diameter as 18 pound mono.

However braided line does not do great for abrasion resistance and rocks and snags could do a number on it. So keep that in mind, and if you do use braid make sure to use a leader made out of flouro or mono.

I myself like braided line especially with circle hooks. A pole with a nice soft tip and braided line is the perfect setup to use with circle's. If you want to cross eyes and set the hook, mono is probably a better route for you.

Braid vs Mono has been discussed numerous times on the site, just search around on here a little and you will see a ton of threads on this topic.

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    What's up Big JD? I use braided line cause most the river areas I fish is extremely rocky. I use extremely heavy braid too. I use power pro 150lb, it is pretty expensive, but I tell you what I have seen even the gorilla wire from Wal-Mart work very well.
    The advantages are, it is very tough to break, there is zero stretch, so when you feel the bite, it is that exact second the fish is biting, it lasts longer, so replacement is not as often. Mono to me is perfect when lake fishing with no structure. But when you fish in thick stuff, or thick structure where you have to set the hook fast and reel out that catfish, and that 15 pound branch it went under, braid does it almost always. Braid has zero memory too, that is huge to me. Mono can be a problem cause the second you get one little nick, it weakens the entire integrity of the line. Hook sets into catfish are awesome cause the zero stretch, the hook buries in the fish harder, now some will consider this a disadvantage, cause you can end up pulling a hook out of a catfish that is not hooked so good. Rats nest are easier to get out for me too with braid.
    Disadvantages of braid. It has a hacksaw quality, and if you do not have titanium, alum oxide, or special eyes, braid can cut into your eyes, especially the tip. Now that applies to certain braids, some brands claim it does not happen. I would never use under 80 pound braid, because the thickness that some claim is an advantage for using braid. Line thickness is super thin compared to mono at same poundage. BUT thinner braided line, can bury into the spool of braided line on your reel, which sucks. Basically what happens is that the braided line will work itself under the rest of your line while on the spool, and when this happens, you cast your line out and there is a sudden stop, and your bluegill flies from Lake Roosevelt to Apache Junction, and your hook and weights fall 20 feet in front of you. You can avoid this by sticking with thicker diameter braided line. Braided line is also slower on the cast, you can always cast further with mono.
    So to me, Braid is better cause the strength and endurance, no one can argue that mono is stronger than braid, it can put up with a lot. As far as knots, please believe me on this one, ONLY use the Palomar or Double Palomar, There are a couple knots that do work, but by far these are the strongest knots, especially for braid.

4. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So what brand do you guys use???

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I agree on the palomar, 100%. I don't go quite that heavy on my spinning reels, though, 65 on the smaller and 80 on the larger. I always spool my own reels, and like the new packaging PowerPro uses for their line that aids in doing it yourself. As for backer, I do one wrap of good quality black electrical tape, and braid all the way. No mono for me. Here recently I switched from green to red and like it so far, although with my red l.e.d. nitelite, it can be difficult to see.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well the advantage is it dont birdnest compared to mono. It has better knot holding ability especially on a polomar knot. I spool up with Tug-O-War braid by Team Catfish. Its truly the best line on the catfishing market.

Hope this helps.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ive been a mono guy my whole life. But a few weeks ago i lost a dream fish right at the boat because he was barely hooked while drift fishing. And after speaking to a fisherman that I greatly look up to for advise he explained to me why that fish was barely hooked and was able to spit it. and it was due to the fact that it was some older mono and had a lot of stretch so i didnt get the good hook set. so after speaking with that fishing genius i have decided to just get more rods and have a set of rods for just drifting which i will put braided on and have a set for anchoring which i will keep mono on since i normally set the hook anyways and for the fact i have spool after spool of Big Game.

8. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz New Member

State:
    AZ
    SpiderWire 60 pound braided, I have caught 45 pounders on it with no break-offs.

9. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i use 130lb tuff line from cabellas. its 21bucks for a couple hundred yards give or take i got 2 poles out of it. i put it on myself with 20lb mono under it so it wont spin when tryin to reel in.

10. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Power Pro for me

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro. I use braid because of the small diameter to strength ratio. Since I only bank fish the river, I need max casting distance and max strength and Power Pro has both.

12. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    ditto

13. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Well I have been using spider wire for many years with no regrets. I have even on many occasion spooled the line off one reel after a year or two of fishing backwards onto another rod and used for a couple more years. The fish in my avi was caught on 50 pound spider wire that was about five years old. The line functioned perfectly and I would still be using the same set up but the fish burned the drag washers out of the reel and I can’t replace them.

I retired the reel as a trophy as that is my PB so far. I replaced the reel and another to complement two ugly sticks I bought from boaters world when they were going out of business. I bought two Diawa BG-30 reels and spooled them with spider 50 pound stealth. This combo seems to work great. I use ugly 11 foot med heavy rods and the casting distance is awesome. I would suggest a three-way rig with lighter to same weight mono for both the sinker and hook leader for a little forgiving stretch and it is a lot easier to break off if snagged.

What all the others have said is much the same and using braid is just a personal preference. I do like the sensitivity that I get with the braid as I can walk my bait just of the bottom and feel every time it touches.

14. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I use power pro for salt and fresh water. Some reels see both and it still holds up strong.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Personally i love braided line, used it for a really long time when i muskie fished all the time. only reason i use mono now is because of the places i fish. If it would stand up to the abrasions that i would put it through, i would never use mono. disadvantage to it's strength though is how strong it is. if you get hung and your leader doesnt break, you wont be able to break the line easily. also, if you do bird nest it, it will be a lot worse than a mono one is, at least thats my findings.

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Granted I', no pro and I can't seem to hook into anything real large, but I try. Anyway, I have mixed feelings on braid. Some of my thoughts include:

Mono Pros:
    • Less abrasive effect on rod guides.
    • Better abrasion residence on rocks and snags.
    • Less water absorption.
    • Easier to cut and the knots.
    • Easier to se at night in UV with black Light.
    • Easier to clear backlashes.
    Mono Cons:
    • Coiling and line memory even with baitcast reels.
    • Line diameter and stiffness dramatically increase with line test.
    • Line capacity or lack of with higher test.
    • Difficulty casting with distance in higher test.
    Braid Pros:
    • Unrivaled strength relative to diameter.
    • Zero memory.
    Braid Cons:
    • Zero line stretch (can be a factor with other than circle hooks) or with bait clicker use).
    • Difficulty with fraying, cutting, and knot tying.
    • Abrasive wear that it can inhibit on rod guides.
    All in all, I believe easch has it's uses and each can be a good choice. I think it depends on a person's opinions and their fishing style. Do you want to be able to horse and fish away from cover, do you want to play a fish, or do you need either for your fishing situation. I grew up with pretty much two choices, you used mono or Dacron line. I'm learning a lot here on the BOC and never even used mono over about 12# until I can here and started reading up on what people were doing. My views could change when the time comes that I hook up with a big flathead but even then a loss will teach me something.
    Thanks to everyone here for all the information. In the end, I believe a person needs to try different things and see what works for them and what they enjoy doing or using.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried power pro braid several times,,,After than experience you could not give me any braided line.

Mainly because of the low abrasion resistance.

18. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I use 65 and 80 pound Spiderwire.
    Growing weary of fish breaking my line is what prompted me to do so.
    Since the transition , I've landed my PB with it and will never look back , unless the conditions dictate.

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Spider,
    Your post is to the fact and Good! I have written previously that I am a PP user and Love it. Many of the reasons mentioned in your write-uip are the same as mine. I am partial to PP as I fish at distance most of the time! The lack of stretch is a BIG Positive for me. Being able to feel the fish or the lure when it is played or retreived makes a big difference. Having the ability to Turn a fish when needed comes down to both the Rod and Line. Yet, you are able to do this easier IMHO with braid than mono! Mono does have a place for me when I am panfishing and using a float. I do use a Flourocarbon Shock Leader for casting and Abraision resistance on my setups. This helps to eliminate the problem with sharpe objects that are encountered. This all comes down to choice in the end and each of us must make them!!!

HOPPY4

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Braid RULES. The rest is just second class gear. :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC