Braided line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by MAX1955, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I just bought some power pro, and I was wondering is it necessary to put mono on first when spooling a spinning reel. Thanks in advance.

2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    It depends if the reel was made for braid. I always put a mono backing down first so the braid doesn't just spin on the spool. Plus if you use a backing, you don't have to waste your Power Pro to fill the first 20% of your spool. If you find that you like the Power Pro, go to ebay and get a 1500 yd. spool. It is so much cheaper that way.

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Your Power Pro package should have the sticky back foam tape in the package. I stick a couple of squares to the bare spool, tie the line around the foam tape, wind it under tension, and voila! ...no spin...

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL, thanks. I just spooled a reel 30 minutes ago and saw them foam things...didnt know what it was, guess I should read more often, LOL.

I just backed mine with mono like the previous post mentioned. It does save on line/cost.

5. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    You can also use electrical tape start your line on like you do then tape it down. As you start to reel once accross and you are good to go. It will hold from there as you fill the spool and it will not slip. Till you take it off.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I did get off ebay, should be here tommorow. Thanks for input, one of reels I'll be putting it on a shimano baitrunner and a couple of my baitcasters. This will be the first time I've used a braided line (power Pro).

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Is that EBAY line legitimate?

I am also wondering if it might be OLD STOCK pulled from store shelves as out of date.

I have heard of folks getting dry-rotted MONO fishing line off ebay just wondering about the Power Pro.

I have also heard of FAKE Power Pro being sold on Ebay. See this pic to tell the difference:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/Darryl076/counterfeit_spot.jpg

I have always been afraid to buy it that way.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    The stuff I got was pretty good. I got a 1500 yd spool of #50 about 2 years ago and still have it on my rods for this year. I want to grab some more cause I got a few more reels this winter.

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I heard about the electrical tape trick so that's what I use to stop the spin .

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use the electrical/ductape method. The bait shop I work @ sells a lot of Shakespeare UGLY BRAID. The customers like it & it's quite a bit cheaper.

Catch a biggun, Elliot

11. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I bought off a reliable seller, with excellent feedback. Thanks for the information, although I have to say I didn't know braided line went bad on the shelf. From what I read here on Boc it last for years on your reels and this is one of the reasons I'm trying it out. At any rate I've had good experiance with ebay purchases in the past. I always check there feedback and how long they've been a seller. The seller has sold alot of power pro and I didn't read any bad feedback on it.