Braided line "whine"

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by bigblaze, Sep 13, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I use 65 lb suffix braided line...I have noticed when the current is swift and I'm using allot of weight my Braided line hums or whines while cutting through the water...

Has anybody else ever experienced this....

Do you think the fish can here the whine????

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish with 65 power pro and i have never herd the whine that your talking about before but i never used the suffix line before either

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    The Only Noise I Hear Is Me Cussing When I Miss The Big Ones.lmao

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I have heard that noise too in swift water with spider line. It doesnt do it with Mono That I have noticed anyways.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I know what you are talking about, it's kind of a vibration that sets up in the line in current. I've caught fish like that, fishing the current of the Missouri River, so I don't think it hurts too much if any.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I think the whine is vibration caused by the current. If you hear it I would guess the fish hear it and feel it. Has it affected your fishing?
    Bill

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've heard it before with the bigger dia mason braid that I used to use but I've never heard it with the 80 lb power-pro which is a much smaller dia line.

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    All I use is powerpro and I hear it all the time on the mighty mississippi and still catch mighty cats.

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Boy I'm glad somebody else has experienced this it took us awhile to figure out where the noise was coming from...I thought I was going crazy...when we first heard it we thought we were near a large bee hive:big_smile:

the swifter the current the more I here it but I don't think it has affected my fishing I catch cats right by my buddy who uses strictly mono...and I have never used anything but braided for cats.....

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I was being sarcastic, the more current you fish the more you hear it. Its called braided fishing line. I have used Mason tiger and it does the same, The whine does not affect the fish. Some say it does but they can continue to use rubberband line.LOL:eek:oooh:

11. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Braided line scares me. Here to much about it breaking.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I use powerpro also, haven't got the humming but maybe where I fish the current isn't so bad.

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Braided line works great for me....If your worried about it breaking just step up too a higher strength...

The mono is way too stretchy for me...I use 65 lb. braided main line and 50 lb. mono leader...

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've noticed that vibration before, but it only does it under certain conditions, depending on how strong the current is, angle into the current, etc. I use braided on all my rods, and sometimes one rod out of 4 or 5 will vibrate, and none of the rest, just depends on how that rod is set, I guess. I haven't noticed any difference it catch rate either way.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I use 80lb power-pro and I've had the same experience. It only happens when I cast cross current during high water. If I cast with the current , no noise, but any cross current sounds like a retarded violin player. Most times I can make it stop by lifting the sinker a foot or so and taking out any bow in the line. Other times it will stop if I just move the rod to a different angle. I have never caught a fish on a rod that was "singing".